Originally Posted by ChiTownRon
This isn't snowboard gear. But owning one of these and wearing it on the sunny day on the snowboard hills would look epic. It's the Rorschach mask from Watchmen. The sick part about these is the ink on it actually moves around.
This is the version I'd like to get. But i think they have couple other models as well. Looks sick when you actually see the black ink move.
I had one of those. The thing works with thermo sensitive pigments that are activated by the warmth of your breath - as they get warmer the pigments turn darker/black. Only part of the face area has the pigments and that area basically fades in and out but there is no 'moving around' or shape changing of the other (permanent) ink blobs.
Not bad as a gimmick but not useful for any real riding. A few observations:
- Does not really offer any protections against cold or wind.
- Vision through the eye holes is not great. For serious riding I would cut out the eye parts or the whole face area of the mask there (covered by goggles anyway).
- Definitely increases fogging of goggles.
- The mask (and effect) is actually not very visible/noticeable, esp. when wearing big goggles and a high collar/neck warmer .
- Thermo sensitivity varies by manufacturer depending on the pigments used. Some work only well around room temperature.
Might be fun on a warm day for some mellow riding on groomers or in the park - for maximum effect get the matching hat and coat!