Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Vancouver 12-13 Season

66K views 664 replies 46 participants last post by  destroy 
#1 ·
Might as well start dreaming early.

It's June 23rd and this summer is shit. Let's skip this wimpy summer and give us back the winter. :laugh:

Booya!

#2 ·
Ya, I agree.

I was thinkin', when I was younger there used to be big piles of snow(ice shavings?) behind most skating rinks.
Do Zambonis' still do that? Or am I way out of date?

I want to build somethin' to play on, I had a set of monkey bars that I cut the bars out of. So now I have 2 separate 20 foot bars shaped liked this )) I got a truck to fill up with snow. almost all the pieces.

Does your girlfriend need a new board?
I got a 2011 Never Summer Lotus, it has a boot 5 days on it & is in spectacular shape.

TT

#3 ·
lol, good idea, check out 8rinks in Burnaby, they always have "snow" in the back, you might get a few weird looks, haha but why not …

gf used her new board 3 times last winter, waste of money if you ask me.

#4 ·
My wife and I went for a hike on Seymour on the weekend. We went up Manning run to the top of Mystery, and got a good look at the work that's being done for the new quad chair.

First, I can't be positive, but it sure looks like they're taking the time to do some reshaping on the Manning run. They seem to be filling in the first flat spot (where the Brockton exit meets the Manning run) and they may even be filing down the uphill part of the Brockton exit. They are also widening the gap on Manning where it starts to go downhill again. I'm actually a little pissed about that because the sides of the run right there were great for riding up.

They've also pretty much totally flattened the top of Mystery around where the old lift off-ramp was. the new terminus is a little sooner than the old one I think, which (with the flattening) means you have a huge and gentle offloading area, both left and right.

The new lift will follow pretty much the same line as the old one, but the towers will be in different places. In particular there won't be one right in the middle of the Northlands run where it crosses the lift path.

Anyway, seems to be proceeding. I guess they have to really get it done by the end of October, which is when it generally starts snowing.

#8 ·
I haven't this summer but I used to go camping in Pemberton for August long weekend, 6 years in a row. Haven't been for @ least 5 years.

But let me tell you it is fuckin' awesome, you kinda have to @ least be an intermediate rider because it's mostly snowboard parks & a halfpipe.
If you can't hit medium sized kickers, you will be riding on flat boring terrain.

But even that is pretty fun when it's like 35-40 degrees & the sun is beating down & there are chicks in bikini's. Not lots of them, but a few.

Everyone has a huge shit eatin' grin on their face :D& are happier than a pig in shit.

I got the worst sun burn under my arms & in my armpits, it's just not somewhere where you think to put sunscreen.

The only shitty thing is the days are really short, like 11-3 or something like that. I can't remember the exact hours but they are short, you gotta get there as it opens or your paying a lot for not very much.

If you have the chance do it, you'll remember it forever.

TT

#9 ·
Just seen an add on craigslist for a guy & girls Technines with bindings, sweet lookin' rides. Not mine, nor do I know who's they.

$100 bucks a piece, seems pretty cheap if anyone wanted one.
The girls board has rocker, don't know about the guys board?

Technine His & Hers Snowboards & Bag

TT

#10 · (Edited)
Holy crapper, just realized this forum is tapatalk compatible now for iPhone/iPad yaaaiya

+ some bad/good news for me.

The Bad, I won't be able to board as much this winter. Schedule is going to be one cluster fúck of a mess.

The Good, I got accepted to Vancouver Acting School and will be going to school full time! I just did a complete 180 with my life.

My Crim degree proved to be useless, so I decided to fuck it all, and try to fulfill a long dream of mine . Lol I might be dreaming, the hell I'll never know unless I try!

Wish me luck. Because its scary to quit everything and go into unknown.

#12 ·
Awesome Arbor Snowboard 156 cm - Brand new $160

Just thought I'd throw this out there cause that's a wicked deal for a wicked board.
If anyone's in the dog house, this should get you out.
Maybe even get you a little sumpin, sumpin too!!

Awesome Arbor Snowboard 156 cm - Brand new

TT

#13 ·
Anyone in Vancouver wanna buy some Contrabands (2009-10?) Black, some subtle white design type things on em. About one season of wear, not bad shape at all. Size Medium.

Make me an offer before I put em on craigslist... or not :laugh:

Want to try something normal this season.

They do work good tho :thumbsup:

Thanks for listening

#15 ·
We should see if we can get all/most of our Vancouverite brethren to hit up opening day @ the various hills.

Opening day is one of the best days imo, most of the time if the snow has been on the ground for a bit, it hardens up so you don't sink like fresh powder but it's still super smooth fresh lines.
You don't lose your speed as much either, which I think would be a big bonus @ Seymour, but if we all hook up, you local Seymour boys know the good linesanyway, so good times for all!!

Hemlock is usually EPIC on opening day, the don't open when they get a foot of snow like Cypress, they usually wait a bit longer. The last few years have been like 4+ feet of goodness for opening day & Nobody goes there.

Fresh tracks all day until close & you can ride right onto the lift cause there ain't no lift lineup.

:thumbsup:plus I need someone to film me riding off the chairlift, so I can bury that thread.:cheeky4:

TT

#18 ·
2009 the 10th, don't think they wanted to, but it snowed 6 feet the week before & there was a shit load of people already up there.
2010 the 16th
2011 the 10th I think cause Cypress did?

But I'm pretty sure they always plan to open on the 16 of Dec.
They usually have enough snow, way more than Cypress when it opened & could probably open sooner.
It seems like they open when they get their shit somewhat together, cause it's the biggest gong show out of any mtn I've ever been to.
They could make that place wicked if they fired everyone in management, I swear the upper level knows less than the peons & are simply there to ride for free.

Just go to their website, it's crap. With next to no info & never gets updated.
But I will say, they are the only local hill, that I go to, that has web cams so you can actually tell what the weather is like.
It seems like all (Cypress) the other ones just lie to get you up there.

I thought they were getting a new lift as well, I coulda swore I posted a link to it before, maybe I'll try & find it.
You never know they might be, but you'd think they would post it up somewhere so people knew?

Maybe all that bullshit keeps the people away? That & the road.(which I love, & should be turned into a rally race)

If anyone plans to go up there, hit me up.
I know that mtn inside & out & there is some incredible out of bounds lines there.

TT

#20 ·
For real, Hemlock is sick and that road is awesome :thumbsup:

Can 2nd the shit-show comment. Last time I was there there they shut down half the hill because they had no power (?). Still, fun as all hell and pow lines til the arvo

Donutz: YES, get your passport and go to Baker

#17 ·
Can't wait for opening day, I hope Cypress does early november opening again. I know the conditions weren't good, but they only charged like 15 or 20 bucks so it was totally worth it to get a couple days in weeks before Whis opened.

A friend and I checked out Hemlock on opening day last year, it was the first time I'd ever been there and I loved it. Planning to hit hemlock a bunch of times this year.

#22 ·
Didn't they give you a credit for $20 those first few days?
I went opening day, I can't remember how much it was but after the credit it was next to nothing, we came back the next day too.
They shut that deal down on day 3, I think?

TT

#21 ·
I need to get a passport as well, but will a dui conviction prevent them from letting me in? Please say no?

grafta do you know Hemlock very well? I owe you a tour, you might as well carpool with the Donut man & we should hit it opening day? Whata ya say Donuts?
I know it's still a ways away but if people read it maybe we can get some more people too?

TT

#23 ·
If I go to hemlock, it'll be with the family. Very much doubt grafta and gf will want to shoehorn themselves into a Versa with the rest of us. :laugh: Probably room on the roof rack tho'

Make sure you post something as soon as you see opening day coming up. I might miss it because I don't normally watch the hemlock website.

Wife and I are planning on hiking up seymour to the top of mystery the week before opening (if there's enough snow) to enjoy some untouched stuff. I'll post that as soon as the date's nailed down in case anyone wants to join in.

#39 ·
Timmy, 6 of my buddies bought the corporate cypress deal the other week, so I thank you in their name for the hookup. :)

Ohh and heard of cknw today, due to some solar flares or bullshit, it's supposed to be warm until December. Fak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.