Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - worst crashes you've seen?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #91 (permalink)
Thrillhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaric View Post
I'm not going to read a lot of the responses. I wasn't even going to share my story. But the last few have involved helmets.

I had an extremely bad crash, it ended my snowboarding career. I didn't visit this website for years because of it. I don't know what happened. It was spring riding. I remember stopping at the top of the park, adjusting my earbuds, messing with my iPod and the start of my drop in. Nothing after.

I've been told that I hit the kicker, landed (quite nicely, I guess) but then immediately hit a puddle of slush I didn't know about at the bottom of the kicker and went for a ride. So much of a ride that I went tumbling a few hundred feet, hitting my skull on a rail and bashing it open... and kept going. I knocked myself out, and pissed myself. Once I stopped, I got up and I tried to continue snowboarding down the hill and passed out on my face about 50ft later according to a buddy of mine.

I woke up in the hospital with way too many IV's, my head and legs covered in blood. I suffered a concussion and had to get staples to keep my head closed. I also had kidney failure. I was pissing blood for weeks. (hence why i woke up with my legs covered in blood). I had to go in for dialysis a couple times a week for months. Broken bones, all that shit. It sucked.

The medical bills are still being paid off, thanks to no medical insurance.

A helmet wouldn't have kept me from a lot of that... but I wouldn't have bashed my skull open. Who knows, maybe I wouldn't have gotten a concussion. I beg everyone to wear a helmet. I know they don't look the coolest and aren't the most comfortable... but staples hurt a shit load worse. I wore one for a year and then decided it wasn't cool, so I stopped. Worst decision ever. Dialysis was a whole lot less cool.

Wear a fucking helmet. Be safe. Inspect your kickers and jibs before hitting them. Wear your beacons in the backcountry. Ride with friends. Take it easy in the trees, and don't board past your ability.
fuck man, what an awful thing to happen to you. i'm in my second full season after about 4 years of riding, the thought of hurting myself so badly that i couldn't put a board on anymore just makes my eyes well up thinking about it. i gave myself a minor concussion last year after going face first into a patch of ice and have worn a brain bucket ever since; your story makes me feel totally justified in doing so!

anyway, back to the thread. had my biggest bail ever yesterday hitting a kicker at way too much speed. as soon as i got to the lip i knew i was going too fast and was pissed at myself for not speed checking like i always do. next thing i know I'm sailing through the air horizontally with my board in front of me thinking 'oh shit oh shit oh shit, just go limp!'

luckily i managed to come down flat to the ground with my back and tailbone taking most of the impact before my head snapped back and connected hard. I'm sure i heard a crack of some kind and after a couple of seconds lying there scared to move i managed to get up and ride off giggling away to myself probably more out of shock than anything else. the pain started to set in over the rest of the day which i coped with thanks to a hip flask of scotch, was pretty immobile on the couch last night and quite stiff and sore today. probably would've been a different story without my helmet on that's for sure!
Thrillhouse is offline   Reply With Quote