Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Looking for advice on an all mountain board
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Chance42
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
One more comment (and you might know this already): Waist width only tells you so much. The sidecut radius will affect massively how wide the board 'actually' is (both at the bindings and the contact points).
Normally people look at width where the bindings go to make sure that the board is wide enough for their feet. For you the analysis is the other way around: Making sure that the board is not too wide throughout.
For instance, compare the 154 TRS with the 154 Banana Magic: Almost the same waist width (actually TRS 25.3 vs. Magic 25.2) but because of the smaller sidecut radius on the Magic the board is already slightly wider at the insets and considerably wider at the nose/tail (29.8 vs 29.2).
Similarly, if not quite as extreme, comparing the 155 Cobra with the 157 TRS you have got narrower waist width on the Cobra (25.1 vs. 25.3) but a slightly wider nose/tail (29.5 vs. 29.3)
Yea being in Louisiana it kind of blows for checking out equipment. I normally wait till I visit my brother in Seattle for buying boots and whatnot. Was hoping maybe I would catch some late summer sales on a new board, and if not have an idea of what to look for when I do travel this winter. As much as I'd love to catch one on sale, I'm not going to let price dictate my board decision (to a point anyways, don't want to drop more than 550 bucks or so... but 260 on the ride or like 350 on the others won't hurt my feelings either).

Anyways I guess I could call up evo or something and have them measure at the inserts for me once I really narrow it down to just a couple of boards.
Chance42 is offline   Reply With Quote