Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Planning first Tahoe trip
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
SGboarder

Default Planning first Tahoe trip

Hi guys, will be hitting Tahoe for the first time over (actually just after) New Year this seson and am looking for some advice.

My plan is to visit my friends in San Fran for New Year and then drive to Tahoe on New Year's Day for ~3 days of riding. Probably going to stick to North Tahoe for ease of access (Kirkwood out of reach for such a short trip, I guess).
Looking to ride pow, groomers, and some tree/easy off-piste. Not interested in park. Girlfriend will be with me and that limits how challenging the riding can be (blues not a problem, single blacks also ok but double blacks maybe not).
Thinking of hitting Squaw for at least 1 day and maybe also Alpine Meadows and/or Homewood.

Questions:
  1. Is going just after New Year ok? Is it going to be crazy busy (despite the fact that I will be there mid-week Tuesday-Friday)?
  2. Are Squaw, Alpine Meadows, and/or Homewood the right mountains to hit for our riding? Any other suggestions?
  3. What are good places to stay? I hear that Squaw has some accommodation that is ski-in/ski-out or at least close to the slopes? Probably looking for something more hotel like, rather than a lodge because it is a short trip and the girlfriend demands a certain level of comfort (and yes, I know I will pay for that...).
  4. Any other comments on my plan?

Sorry for all the questions. I am slight newbie first timer - do my riding in Asia and in the US have only done East Coast (~10 years ago!). Any help suggestions much appreciated!
SGboarder is offline   Reply With Quote