Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Ne one from Maryland
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #67 (permalink)
hwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleev-les View Post
I'll make sure to put up a post in this section as the season starts to kick off. I'm trying to hit up Whistler too.

As far as driving to Stowe, I don't mind driving the whole way, but any ride alongs will have to split the gas bill.. Will def save a lot of money from flying too. If you fly into Burlington, you still have a 45 minute drive to Stowe if I remember correctly.
Took me just about 45 minutes from Burlington to Stowe as well.

From a cost perspective, the more people you pack into a car the more you're collectively saving since you're all sharing one vehicle vs [individual flight tickets and roundtrip snowboard baggage fees + shared 3-4 day car rental]. If the guys you're riding with are chill, they'll pay for part of your share of gas since you're the only one taking the car depreciation hit by adding ~1200 miles roundtrip to the odometer.

DRIVING (DC to Stowe)
1,134.00 round trip miles (567 mi oneway)
45.36 gallons assuming 25 mpg
$3.78 mpg
+$171.46 gas
+ $24.00 Jersey turnpike tolls (~$12 oneway)

FLYING (DC > Burlington > Stowe)
+280.00 flight roundtrip (thurs to sun during mid-Feb) including taxes/fees
+50.00 baggage check snowboard roundtrip ($25*2)
+105.00 car rental (thurs - sun = 3 days) @ $35/day

You really aren't saving much time either by flying considering how early you need to arrive at the airport. The flight itself is only 1.5 hrs from the DC area, but add 2 hours for traveling/checkin for each leg at the airport, 15 min each leg waiting at the luggage carousel, 15 min setting up car rental, and 45 min travel each way from Burlington to Stowe and it adds up.

If you drive, the difference is pretty much lift tickets for the whole trip and then some (lift tickets at Stowe were about ~80.00 IIRC)

Last edited by hwa; 08-30-2012 at 11:33 PM.
hwa is offline   Reply With Quote