Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

looking to connect w/UT-CO riders for 2012/13

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  sidneyfrost 
#1 ·
I live in Moab, UT.
Looking to connect with backcountry split-board riders for the 2012/13 season.
Wasatch, Uintah, La Sals, and the Western slope of the Colorado Rockies.

I'm not a seasoned rider (second season bc) but have a good amount of mountain climbing experience.

Lets connect..:thumbsup:

#6 ·
I'm going to join this thread only because I too want to get some back country in this season in the wasatch region. (snowvols) I'm in Ogden, UT and it'll still be a season before I acquire a split but anything accessible but other means I would really like to try and join.

#8 ·
yeah darn. I'll see what options I have. At Snowbasin we have some good back (slack) country lines so I'm starting with that this season. At the least maybe I could meet up and ride a day at Brighton, not that that's back country :(

#10 ·
There are tons of places you can get access to with snowshoes in BCC and LCC. I do not know the lines around Ogden as well. I do want to explore up there at some point this winter.

Snowbasin has really good slackcountry. It's also very dangerous. The Hells area had a huge slide in it 3-4 years back. Debris pile around 30ft deep. Went right over where everyone rides. Eye opening for sure. The stuff off of Ogden peak is nice too, same dangers though. Pick and choose around there is the moral of the story. I think there is safer and better beginner bc around the Eden valley. Though you'll have to hike for it. There are several spots around Ben Lomond where I would consider the overall danger to be low-moderate with moderate consequence on average. Where as the Snobasin lines are pretty much high danger and high consequence. The Ben Lomond stuff is also reasonable to access with snowshoes. So get yourself a pair. Check around at pawn shops, second hand shops, and such for those. I found a decent pair for the wife for $30 at a local pawn shop around here.

Not saying that the backcountry around Ben Lomond (What is it called North Park?) is completely safe. The stuff on the peak itself can be really sketch, but there is a lot of terrain there to learn on and that limits your exposure to danger. A good thing when you're getting started.
Hopefully we will finally get together this season. Have you been in American Fork Canyon? I know there are tons of super sick lines down there without the traffic you would see in BCC or LCC

#9 ·
Snowbasin has really good slackcountry. It's also very dangerous. The Hells area had a huge slide in it 3-4 years back. Debris pile around 30ft deep. Went right over where everyone rides. Eye opening for sure. The stuff off of Ogden peak is nice too, same dangers though. Pick and choose around there is the moral of the story. I think there is safer and better beginner bc around the Eden valley. Though you'll have to hike for it. There are several spots around Ben Lomond where I would consider the overall danger to be low-moderate with moderate consequence on average. Where as the Snobasin lines are pretty much high danger and high consequence. The Ben Lomond stuff is also reasonable to access with snowshoes. So get yourself a pair. Check around at pawn shops, second hand shops, and such for those. I found a decent pair for the wife for $30 at a local pawn shop around here.

Not saying that the backcountry around Ben Lomond (What is it called North Park?) is completely safe. The stuff on the peak itself can be really sketch, but there is a lot of terrain there to learn on and that limits your exposure to danger. A good thing when you're getting started.

#11 ·
I know there is good sport climbing in American Fork Canyon. Never have ridden there. SLC is definitely on my hit list this season. With the lack of powder flu days last year, I have built up a decent vacation balance for this season. I definitely want to head out your way this season.

#12 ·
sidneyfrost - i like the mountaineering thing. did rainier in '08 and recently wolf's head in the cirque of the towers. plan to get to the wasatch and let us know.
karasene - i've been wanting to get to snowbasin for a while but haven't been yet. i want to make this the year. though i have a split, i've got a pair of snowshoes too.

will be fun for everyone to hook up and ride!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.