Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Which bindings work well with a Never Summer SL?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
linvillegorge
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Don't worry about it - the most important factors for bindings fit with your boot and comfort (these are normally related). Aspects like flex/responsiveness, weight, dampening, canting, etc. are all way secondary and not worth thinking about this stage.

Until you have got more than 50-100 days on the mountain, the old mantra about gear selection applies:
  1. Buy boots that fit. This is the single most important factor in improving your boarding and enjoying riding. Do not worry about brand (as long as it is one of the major brands it will be fine), stiffness, tech, reviews, etc. - just get something that fits.
  2. Get (buy/borrow/rent) a board that is approximately correct for your weight+ height (and maybe foot size) and intended riding style (if you know) - for most people a soft-medium flex all-mountain will do the trick. Do not worry about brand, stiffness, tech, reviews, etc.
  3. Get bindings that fit your boots and are comfortable. Did I mention: Do not worry about brand, stiffness, tech, reviews, etc.
  4. Then ride as much as you can/enjoy. Maybe take lessons. Any day of riding (heck every single run) will make more of a difference to your riding and progression than any gear choice.

See ThunderChucky's post.

Only to the extent that the bindings should fit your boots and not cause any pressure points.

Does not matter.
I can't fully subscribe to this theory. I think most beginners are best suited with boards and bindings a bit on the softer side. They're just more forgiving generally. The last thing you want to do is a put a beginner on a poorly matched board/binding combo. IMO, the worst is a soft park board with a stiff freeride binding. Holy shit, that's an awful combo. I couldn't imagine the struggles a beginner would have with a setup like that. You wiggle your toes and that board is dancing around.