Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Planning a trip for Jan 2013 to Vermont
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
mjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardkid33 View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums, have done a lot of reading but very little posts. I'm trying to plan a awesome trip to Vermont this year with a bunch of my friends and I. We went up to Okemo and Granite Gorge last year and had a blast.

We talked about going further up to northern Vermont to hopefully get a bunch of fresh powder up there. If you guys have any ideas that would be great, also lodging opinions would help a lot also.
Jay Peak is right up by the Canadian border and has awesome glade sections, a few cliff drops and traverse hike off the backside for some b/c lines- don't follow the drainage all the way down though as it will take forever to back get out to the road. You can stay at the resort (lots of options) or at the Snowline Lodge down at the bottom of the Mt. Plenty of places in between too. Newport is about 15 minutes away and has some cheap motels.

Stowe and Smugglers Notch are cool places too. They are a little south of Jay.

Killington and Sugarbush are about 45 and 90 min. north of Okemo. Both cool places. Killington is basically it's own town so no trouble finding rooms there. Sugarbush is more rural but plenty of inns around.

Storms have been tracking to the south the last couple of years. Last year's weather was practically non-existent. Better to follow the weather reports before committing to a place if you want pow. If you can make it up to Sugarloaf Mt in ME you might have the best chance of getting some pow. In my experience, Sugarloaf often has the best snow.