Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Splitboard purchase
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
linvillegorge
Veteran Member

Default Splitboard purchase

Alright, I'm gonna break down and do this. I'm tired of searching for used. It seems like a decent used setup is going to run $5-600 and if I'm gonna drop that kind of coin, I might as well go ahead and buy new and have a warranty.

Still, I'm not trying to break the bank here.

The options I'm considering

Voile Mojo 166
Prior Backcountry 165
K2 Panoramic 162 or 168

Honestly, I'd be sold on the Panoramic IF they made something in between the 162 and the 168. That seems like one helluva jump between sizes. Ideally, I'd want something in the 164-165 range. In riding shape with all my gear, I'm probably 200-205#. 210# tops. I like the system K2 uses to secure the skins. I like the fact that it's a little on the softer side and slightly freestyle oriented. My only concern is exactly how freestyle oriented is it? I'm not looking for a split park stick, but if it's something along the lines of an NS Heritage, I would consider that ideal.

Deal wise, I think the Prior may be the best deal. It's on clearance for $576 through REI and I'm seeing Voile kits and skins on sale elsewhere for $120ish each. Total investment for it would be under $850. It'd be $900ish for the K2. $720ish for the Voile.

My normal riding style at the resort is lots of hard charging, lots of jumping off everything I can find and a lot of pow butters when the opportunity presents itself. Resort riding is a fairly equal mix of a NS Evo, NS Heritage, and Capita Charlie Slasher for pow days. My backcountry riding is relatively limited and has mostly been relegated to survival mode on legs beat to shit trying to keep up with killclimbz and his crew.

What say you guys?

Last edited by linvillegorge; 09-06-2012 at 01:11 AM.
linvillegorge is online now   Reply With Quote