Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Introduce yourself
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #1706 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrik_c View Post
I went out a ton last season and picked up the basics rather easily. I'm sure I still have a lot to learn but I'm definitely looking forward to this coming winter. I'll be spending a lot of time at Chicopee (Kitchener, ON). So if anyone in the area is interested in meeting up, shoot me a PM at some point. I have a couple of snowboarding trips planned for this year. A weekend trip to Montreal and visiting a friend in Calgary over Christmas. I can't wait!
Welcome! And don't be shy to post, it might seem like we rip on people a lot here but that's because some of the posts are just downright out to lunch. By the way, you might get 10 good answers to a question here, and not one of them could be the right answer for you. So take what we say with a grain of salt! Opinions are good but they're just that, opinions.

Now, I grew up boarding in Ontario. Learned to ski at Mount Madawaska up near Algonquin Park (it's a little 200 ft vert hill!), and spent a lot of time at Blue and Mount St. Louis over the years. I came to Calgary last year with my job and I'll never go back. Prepare yourself for the hills out here, get in as much boarding as you can in December to strengthen your legs. The mountains in the Calgary area are amazing but you don't want to spend all your time sitting letting your legs rest when you could be flying down some great runs!!!

Have fun, and BTW I think Sunshine has a lot of flat spots, I think it's a little less beginner friendly than Lake Louise for that reason. Nakiska is also a great hill that I think is under rated. Plenty of high speed lifts, wide open spaces, and it's close to Calgary.

Cheers,
Aaron
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote