Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Canada - is it really all that?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Bones
Veteran Member

Default Depends what you're into

I'm admittedly biased....being Canadian, but here goes.

You better love nature. The whole country is the population of California strung out over a huge geographical region. With few exceptions, you can be in the wilderness in less than an hour's drive from anywhere (might take you a little longer from Toronto or Vancouver) That's the real secret of Canada: it's not endless suburbia from one city blending into the suburbs of another. If that does it for you, then you'll love it here.

That's not to say there aren't world class cities and urban vistas (Vancouver is beautiful, Montreal is great), it's just that you can't really flit around between them like you can between Paris/London.

I'm told our health care system is excellent, but I've never had occasion to use another country's health care system so I've got no comparison.

Crime is pretty minor and violent crime is still a comparitive rarity (hard to do a drive by shooting with mittens on). Not to say bad areas don't exist in the cities, but they don't dominate the culture.

Our social safety net is part of our culture, so you don't see large numbers of street people or 3rd world poverty.

The trade off is taxes are high and our economy is intrinsically linked to our southern neighbor.

Winter is a fact of life. You will be affected, there are no exceptions, every city sells snow shovels.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote