Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - How to read forward lean angles on some bindings?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
ig88

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytard View Post
The diagram should have pics that are more exaggerated, so that you can see the difference.

Some people don't really need to rotate them, it depends on how much of an angle the bindings are set @. I usually only do my front foot because it's @ a sharper angle than my back foot. They rotate in both directions because some people still ride with their bindings like this. ( / / ) mine are close to this ( l / ) that's why I only need to do my front foot. If you ride with a severe duck stance like so ( \ / ) then it would be wise to adjust both of them.

I purposely asked if you had rotated them, & gave very little info about what I was talking about just to see if you could figure it out on your own.
I think it helps you understand your bindings better if you fiddle with them yourself & learn how they work.

I just didn't think all these Donney Do-gooders were gonna jump in & explain it for me. Thanks Donney Do-gooders

I have a few pairs of Burton bindings, 3 are the old style forward lean adjusters & 1 pair is the new type like yours.
The old style of Burton forward lean adjustment seems to brake very easily, I have 3 pair, so 6 bindings. All 6 adjusters are broken.

I am able to adjust the forward lean, but I have to use the rotating adjustment to do it. It works on the new style(yours) as well.

When you have the rotating adjustment loosened so that it moves freely & you have it where you think you want it. If you slide both of them a couple notches forward(not rotationally) towards the toe side of your board it will decrease your forward lean & sliding them back a couple notches will increase it.

I'm not sure it was designed to be able to do that or not, but it does work.

TT
Oh timmytard you've kindly made your next post just a tad earlier than me. Guess what, during the last few hours, I think I have watched enough youtube to understand what rotating highbacks is all about. There are some good videos out there but actually one good video was adequate to explain this interesting entity. I think I can confidently let you know now that I fully understand what it is, even though I have not yet had the opportunity to vary it and feel it on the slopes.

Guess what, I never had a clue those screws were meant for adjustment of highback rotations. Now it's like I were revisiting my bindings as though they were some new toys haha.

But many thanks for the elaboration and your kind intention. Actually I was trying to post back before your possible next post, just to ask you again ...... now I have figured out what highback rotations are all about in the classroom, how does it, if at all, relate to forward lean.

Actually I have got some idea already from the youtube videos on highback rotations. One short video says that rotating the highbacks will improve your heelside response. If you would agree with that, then I suppose rotating the highbacks will complement increasing the forward lean. And because of this alleged relationship, one could potentially ease up on cranking up way too much forward lean for the purpose of increasing heelside edge hold/ response. The problem with too much forward lean as I have read will hurt our calves.

Oh yes. And my belated answer to your earlier question if I had rotated my highbacks ...... obviously, haha, no I have not. But I sure will have one more parameter to look into next time I hit the slopes.

When I read you description of bindings with the alleged stance ( / / ), it really got me wondering who would use that. I bet the high speed alpine boarders. Cheers timmytard.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote