Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - How to read forward lean angles on some bindings?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
timmytard
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ig88 View Post
Oh timmytard you've kindly made your next post just a tad earlier than me. Guess what, during the last few hours, I think I have watched enough youtube to understand what rotating highbacks is all about. There are some good videos out there but actually one good video was adequate to explain this interesting entity. I think I can confidently let you know now that I fully understand what it is, even though I have not yet had the opportunity to vary it and feel it on the slopes.

Guess what, I never had a clue those screws were meant for adjustment of highback rotations. Now it's like I were revisiting my bindings as though they were some new toys haha.

But many thanks for the elaboration and your kind intention. Actually I was trying to post back before your possible next post, just to ask you again ...... now I have figured out what highback rotations are all about in the classroom, how does it, if at all, relate to forward lean.

Actually I have got some idea already from the youtube videos on highback rotations. One short video says that rotating the highbacks will improve your heelside response. If you would agree with that, then I suppose rotating the highbacks will complement increasing the forward lean. And because of this alleged relationship, one could potentially ease up on cranking up way too much forward lean for the purpose of increasing heelside edge hold/ response. The problem with too much forward lean as I have read will hurt our calves.

Oh yes. And my belated answer to your earlier question if I had rotated my highbacks ...... obviously, haha, no I have not. But I sure will have one more parameter to look into next time I hit the slopes.

When I read you description of bindings with the alleged stance ( / / ), it really got me wondering who would use that. I bet the high speed alpine boarders. Cheers timmytard.
My pleasure, my good man.
Ya, I knew you wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about, thanks for not taking offense to my little test.
I couldn't be happier than to explain that too someone who clearly wants to know.

The Rotating of the binding doesn't have anything to do with the forward lean aspect of it really.
Now a days the size of the highback is so monstrous. They used to be miniscule, about the height of a hiking boot. If you couldn't rotate it, it starts to get in the way & prevents your leg from moving laterally.

Not all people need that much lateral movement though, very few really.
There is just such a large variety of styles.

Some park rats really tweak out their boards & half pipe guys like crazy forward lean.

It's just easier to make an adjustable binding, rather than a separate different one.

Here is a picture that might explain why things are the way they are.

Damien Sanders: Hard boot tweaker.

TT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hard boot tweaker.jpg (16.2 KB, 50 views)

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote