Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Advice for getting hired at a shop
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 05:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member

I've worked in a snowboard shop before and also worked in retail sales before I started working for myself and honestly interviews are pretty easy once you understand them.

It all comes down to 2 things:

1) Does the interviewer like you as a person
2) Do you stand out (in a good way) from every other person applying for the job

I've never missed out on any job I've interviewed for, so here's my advice:

1) Know your stuff.

You should already be researching and learning about the snowboard products that they carry. Use the internet if you don't know about a product, there's plenty of good information online.

Know which of their snowboards are good for what types of riding. Also, know how to recommend different gear and help customers pick their gear.

Aim to know things like how to size a snowboard correctly and which boots are typically wider than others.

Being knowledgable is something that shows, especially if you get asked questions on snowboard gear during the interview.

2) Show your passion and work ethic

If you get asked why you want to work at the snowboard shop, don't be afraid to show your passion for working in the industry.

Tell him you want to work in the industry. Tell him you're willing to work your butt off and that you want to learn and get more experience inside the industry.

Don't be afraid to tell him that you want it so bad that you've already been researching into the products the shop carries and that you want to learn even more and will keep learning more.

All of this counts for extra points and makes you more likable when they see you have passion and are willing to put in the work.

3) Try to be specific instead of giving generic answers

Nearly every retail job asks the same questions. Try to have non generic answers to these questions.

For example, everyone always asks something related to customer care.

Don't give the same boring generic answers that everyone else gives. "Customers should be a priority and are important" is not going to stand out as a good answer.

For example, here's how I used to answer any 'customer care' related question that would come up:

Question:

blah blah blah something to do with customer care

Answer:

"Customer care is extremely important, especially in today's world where everyone has a Facebook account.

I read that the average person has over 140+ facebook friends, which means anything good or bad that a customer says will be displayed to 140+ people and that reflects back on a business' bottom line at the end of the day.

For example, Zappos.com proved that customer care affects the bottom line of a business by not only spreading word of mouth but by increasing repeat customers by giving amazing customer service.

Zappos.com actually outsold Amazon.com on identical products that were higher priced on Zappos.com and they did that by having better customer service than Amazon.com."

See what I did there? Now that whole spill on Zappos and Amazon may be overkill for you, but you get the idea.

So yeah, know your stuff, show passion and a good work ethic and try to avoid generic boring answers.

Last edited by Jed; 09-16-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote