Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Any special board setups for these tricks?

6K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  timmytard 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody. Not sure if this thread is in the right category. Would the mods please kindly move it to some correct section in the forum if there is a more appropriate category.

The following is a youtube link:
ground tricks snowboard 2011-2012
It's about 3 minutes long and I hope its length won't make it too boring for people here.

First of all I think the person in the video was very good and I declare I could not do any of the things he displayed.

Could anyone tell me what special board setups are needed to facilitate those tricks (ollies, ollie spins, 360 and 540 ... not off some jumps)?

I was wondering if a shorter board, or if a good portion of the board edge was detuned would help. Obviously I could not tell from the video and my assumptions could be entirely wrong.

Anyway, anybody who might know, please kindly enlighten. A big word of THANKS in advance. Cheers.

#4 ·
BurtonAvenger. Thanks.

blunted_nose many thanks. Oh I have watched your recommended video ages ago. It's actually one of the videos I have bookmarked in my pc haha. He is so fluid isn't he? So I will take it that technique is all that's required, and there is no special board setup that would help. Cheers blunted_nose.

#6 ·
Even though some may recomend a softer, rockered board, the guy in the video does it with a burton custom x. Very stiff board not meant to butter around. This kind of boarding you can practice at home, in your basment. All you need is carpet, then just put on the snowboard and start pressing your nose and tail. You can try to spin 180 degrees and land on your nose or tail, combos from there on. It can be a fun thingy to do when on a flat track just cruizing with friends, some make art out of it.

i always found interesting at how many japanese riders you see doing this, when they have arguablly the best snow conditions. I would be rather rding a shallow tail pow stick in a foot of pow, but thats me.

#8 ·
blunted_nose, thanks. In that case I will practice on the carpet at home. I guess doing it a hundred times at home, has to make it easier when trying it out on the snow for the very first time.
There are actually tons of J guys doing board tricks on youtube but English searches normally would not return many Japanese titled videos if at all.
What's pow?

Thanks ETM. Would love to read more elaborations from you regarding your 180 and 360.

#29 ·
pow-powder

cab-short for caballaerial, for Steve Caballero, who invented the trick, and also the best skate shoe ever, the Half-Cab by Vans. The trick is a fakie (skateboarding) or switch (snowboarding) often started with a 180-nosepress followed by the cab trick.

A cab is a switch frontside 360.

A half-cab is a switch frontside 180.

#30 ·
Many thanks blunted_nose and snowklinger. Got it.

But regarding cab, if someone is very good in riding switch to begin with, what's the point in naming it like it is (cab)? I think I am still missing something there. Damn me. But thanks guys.

#33 ·
Its from skateboarding, which is why the literal translation is different. When he invented the trick, skate decks weren't even twin. Many tricks in skateboarding have a naming reason, but in snowboarding some of these reasons are simply that it is carried over from skateboarding (even if the particulars of the physics do not apply or are completely different).

#36 ·
The name cab only applies if riding fakie and using the tail ( which is now at the front) of the board to ollie before turning IMO. You could also call it a switch nollie in new skool terms. If riding backwards and using the rear of the board to ollie its just switch.

#37 ·
Thanks Watervilleshred. I had that impression too. Not being offensive, but lots of guys doing awesome ground tricks on youtube look as though they were using some pretty short length snowboards. I suppose short boards do impart an advantage. Cheers Watervilleshred.

Thanks ETM. Yes I follow your logic. I am not sure if everybody has the same definition of cab in snowboarding but I understand your explanation. Cheers ETM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.