Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Camp Seven Women's Board

8K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  Optikal_Illuzion 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello! I was looking at purchasing a camp seven featherlite 2013 womens board but have not been able to find anything about it online. I would appreciate any reviews or suggestions!

Here's some info:

Weight and Hieght- 135 steady and 5'9"
Boot size- depending on branding, I'm size 11 womens or size 10 mens (some brands I can get away with size 8 mens sizing) size 40 EU, but I've decided to not buy boots online.
Riding style- Since I'm a beginner, I dont do any jumps or anything yet, I just focus on getting down the hill in one piece lol which means staying on groomed runs and if I get better I WOULD like to try a jump here or there
Age- 26
budget- I'd like to keep it under or around the 180- 250 CDN for the board
Your location of riding Barrie ON or Moonstone ON... so horseshoe valley, snow valley or blue

I was thinking about purchasing either the siren leaf 2012 or system sublime 2011 bindings. I will be buying off of wiredsport....

EDIT: This will be my first brand new board, have only used USED boards in the past, and then I broke my tailbone and fell hard when I caught an edge. Want my own board cuz I know how it will be taken care of...

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello! I was looking at purchasing a camp seven featherlite 2013 womens board but have not been able to find anything about it online. I would appreciate any reviews or suggestions!
Hey, welcome to the forum! I did a lot of my learning at Mt St Louis and Blue back in the day. Actually my first turns on a snowboard with metal edges was at snow valley! lol

Anyway, I hate to sounds negative but I've never heard of Camp Seven. And searching around the internets doesn't turn up much. I bought a no-name board for my first board and it the binding inserts pulled out on a trial run in my backyard! That was when I was 11. I'm 31 now and have had name brand boards ever since with no troubles. I'd be tempted to search for a more name brand board. I'm in Calgary now but used to buy my stuff from Corbetts in Oakville, and they have a discount store for last years stock called asogear. Here's the link to their stuff... Asogear eBay link

My Girlfriend started on a K2 Luna and she loves it.

Also, do yourself a favour and be VERY picky about boots. I wear mostly size 8.5-9.0 shoes, so needless to say I bought 9.0 boots several times. It wasn't until I found myself in a nice, stiff, size 7.5 mens boot that I really felt what I'd been missing all those years. Make sure the person that helps you pick out the boots is good at helping you check the amount of heel lift (you'll always get some) and the rest of the fit. It's crucial to have good fitting boots. I could probably go all day without lacing my boots up they fit so well. They almost felt like skates at first but they break in pretty quick and then should fit like a glove. I'd get cheaper, good fitting boots before I'd buy expensive boots that don't fit.

Have fun!

#3 · (Edited)
Hey, welcome to the forum! I did a lot of my learning at Mt St Louis and Blue back in the day. Actually my first turns on a snowboard with metal edges was at snow valley! lol

Anyway, I hate to sounds negative but I've never heard of Camp Seven. And searching around the internets doesn't turn up much. I bought a no-name board for my first board and it the binding inserts pulled out on a trial run in my backyard! That was when I was 11.
Thanks for the welcome :) Yea the hills around here are small but its better than hibernating the winter away :D

And thanks for your thought. I've been researching boards, and my second option is a System Vibe 2012 Snowboard 150 or 153cm or the Nitro Lectra Blend Zero 2012 Snowboard.

I decided to buy the boots locally because of all the issues that can come with an online boot purchase. I have a very hard time finding shoes in local stores, let alone a snowboard boot lol.

TY again for your input, it is much appreciated!

EDIT: checking out asogear... I might go with them since they are local... thanks sooooooo much!!!!

#5 ·
camp 7 is a brand from the PNW - i thought i had read something about them being affiliated with a mt stevens shop or maybe crystal, but Snowolf's review from last year:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equipment-reviews/45453-review-2012-camp-seven-valdez.html

states that it was produced by Wiredsport and they're in Portland, OR.

for $200 it is gonna be a good buy, and if you're a girl you will want a softer board (cheaper) especially if you're learning on it.

wait till Snowolf or Wiredsport sees this thread and chime in...

#6 ·
camp 7 is a brand from the PNW - i thought i had read something about them being affiliated with a mt stevens shop or maybe crystal.

for $200 it is gonna be a good buy, and if you're a girl you will want a softer board (cheaper) especially if you're learning on it.

wait till Snowolf or Wiredsport sees this thread and chime in...
Thanks, I'll wait... if I don't get a reponse soon I'll go with asogear, a local store (yay!), which will more likely be a burton or nitro board and not worry bout duties and extra shipping taxes.

As far as I can read off of wiredsports website, it's a decent beginners board and offers decent flex with minimal edge contact (I broke my tailbone the year before because I caught an edge on ice).

I've been researching boards for the past 2 months like crazy and I'm ready for a board of my own.

P.S- Wiredsport, if you read this, do I get a discount for being a member of this forum? :p

#7 · (Edited)
Hi,

Camp Seven and System are both Wiredsport Brands. I typically do not suggest our own brands on SBF because we do not want to use the forums for that kind of spamming. I hope it is cool to post this in response. The idea behind our brands is to produce decks that offer construction, weight, tech, warranty and foremost performance that are not otherwise found in price-point boards (and often in much higher priced decks). We get how expensive riding can be and we aim to offer riders a bunch of deck options that they can blow up on for under $199.00. Most are about $189.00 with free shipping, which makes me really proud and stoked. Complete packages with boots and bindings are under $299.00.

If a brand/retailer relationship were in effect this build would need to retail well over $300 per deck only.

The Featherlite was our best selling female specific model in 2012 and will be continued into 2013.

Key features are:

camber rocker camber (aka mustache rocker)
full dual density poplar core tip to tip, edge to edge
rubber damping
biax over triax
full wrap rockwell 48 edges
3 year warranty
sidewall construction
extruded base

#10 ·
Hi,

Key features are:

camber rocker camber (aka mustache rocker)
full dual density poplar core tip to tip, edge to edge
rubber damping
biax over triax
full wrap rockwell 48 edges
3 year warranty
sidewall construction
extruded base

THANK YOU! This is what I have been looking for! Considering I could not find out anything about Camp seven other than from your store, I was beginning to think it was your own brand type of thing. I was either going to go for Burton or Camp Seven, but now I know what I'm going to get... thanks so much!

#8 · (Edited)
PS:

Here is a quick vid we did on the Camp Seven Valdez. I post it here because it shows the exact construction and profile that is used on the Featherlite (they are brother/sister boards) although the Featherlite gets a softer flex pattern and obviously a different outline.

We have 12 models (7 men's, 5 women's) for 2103 with 4 different profiles (Camber Rocker Camber, Rocker Camber Rocker, and 2 Flat rock Variations). All are expected in the middle of October.

Here are 3 of the new men's shapes coming for 2013.

#15 ·
I know I've already said my peace, but I can't stress this enough. Once you get your boots, try them on and try to stand on your your toes with your heels still on the ground. Check for heel lift.

Then head to a local shop and try on a million boots to find one that fits the best and compare it to the ones you bought. I went through three pairs of boots last year trying to find the right fit, and I've been boarding for 20 years! Make sure your boots fit you PROPERLY!!! :D

Back to our regularly scheduled thread... BTW congrats on buying a setup! I remember how stoked my GF was when she got her first package a couple years ago. She still loves that stuff (although she's changed boots too).

#16 ·
I will def try them on. I have a pair of boots that are size 10, but they arent keeping my feet dry or warm anymore, they are over 6 years old.

I read online to kick my heel back about 3 times, stand in them and see how much space is left. They are supposed to fit snugger than a street shoe. I have been going around town, trying on different pairs, some in 10 and some I'm 11, depends on the make.

And thanks, I'm SUPER stoked! I work with a few ppl who snowboard, we are planning a trip to tremblant together :) I just hope it stops raining so I can actually work and not waste my vacation and banked time for stupid rain days :p

#19 ·
Yup, and the heat moulding liners that Wiredsport mentioned are great. It's actually okay if your longest toe is *slightly* touching when you first put them on. When you mould the boots they will pack down and get a little bigger inside.

I know wiredsport is a reputable company, but if you get the boots and try them on and they're not tight, I'd consider sending back and getting a 10 instead.

Okay now I've REALLY said my peace!!! lol

BTW get down to Jay Peak if you can. I've boarded all over the east and I liked Tremblant, but Jay has the glades and the atmosphere that I like... Really laid back people and some great off-piste runs. :D:D:D Yay winter! lol

#21 ·
Really great tips, thanks for sharing them with me :)

If I have enough time, I would love to check it out, haven't even heard of it. I'm taking the virtual tour, and it looks awesome. Once I get comfortable on my board again and get over my fear of possibly falling on my ass again (buying azzpad so my already broken tailbone wont get more broken), I would love to try a real mountain instead of the baby hill here we call Blue lol

#23 · (Edited)
I got my first season pass when I was 23. Now that you've got a set up I really hope you go out and buy season pass! There is no other way to progress without going regularly and is by far the best value if you go at least 10 times it'll save you $$ :)

I think I got 40-50 days my first season riding and I became obsessed! I was hitting jumps my first season by spring time.. all though not properly at the time. Lol. If you really get stoked about riding I could say realistically you can be doing basic tricks by the end of this winter if you really wanted to.

Last season I got somewhere around 130 days of riding. haha now I'm 26 and I just wanted to say cheers and I'm glad to see another rider come out of hibernation. It's never too late to learn something new and be good at it. I'm killing it after 3 seasons and I hope you can discover a new passion like I did :) Hope you like your new set up!
Jay Peak is a killer mountain. However you may want to wait a season before tree riding.. Good Luck! :D:thumbsup:

#25 ·
Last season I got somewhere around 130 days of riding. haha now I'm 26 and I just wanted to say cheers and I'm glad to see another rider come out of hibernation.
:eek: Do you not work? Only way I could have done that many days last year would be if I worked at a hill... Which wouldn't both me at all. I'm hoping for 50 days this year...

I will be buying a seasons pass at horseshoe valley since it's the closest and most familiar to me. Snow valley sucks and I will be going to Blue here and there with friends who come up from the city. I'm hoping that with my new setup, I'll become comfortable again in no time.
LOL snow valley is where I did my first turns on a real snowboard (not a plastic Canadian Tire board) they used to have a little half pipe and some jumps but I haven't been there in probably 15+ years.

Blue's 5x7 pass is a pretty good deal, I had it for about 5 years in a row. $175 or so and you get a full pass except weekend days. If you can get any kind of modified work schedule then it works great, head up on a Monday-Tuesday and board all over an empty hill.

Bought my season pass for this year back in June. The early bird rate was $1300... Seems steep but that includes some of the best resorts in the rockies. Fernie, Lake Louise, and Kicking Horse. :cheeky4: lol

Now it's time to start praying to the snow gods (oh yeah it's already snowed on top of some of the mountains out here, there's a reason I jumped at the chance to move from Ontario!)

#27 ·
Blue's 5x7 pass is a pretty good deal, I had it for about 5 years in a row. $175 or so and you get a full pass except weekend days. If you can get any kind of modified work schedule then it works great, head up on a Monday-Tuesday and board all over an empty hill.

Bought my season pass for this year back in June. The early bird rate was $1300... Seems steep but that includes some of the best resorts in the rockies. Fernie, Lake Louise, and Kicking Horse. :cheeky4: lol

Now it's time to start praying to the snow gods (oh yeah it's already snowed on top of some of the mountains out here, there's a reason I jumped at the chance to move from Ontario!)
Since I am most likely going to be working 9 to 5 through the winter if it's like last years winter, there won't be much boarding going on. I'll go nights probably 4 or 5 nights a week, unless ofcourse theres lots of snow as per usual :thumbsup:

Sounds like that's money well spent if you can afford the time to travel... my co worker keeps telling me to go to Fernie, says it's like nothing in Ontario...

Kinda didn't work...
I got laid off from my summer job on Oct 1st. Saved $3000. Bought a Vail resorts pass (8 mountains) got in my car drove to CO from NH. Couch surfed from Nov-April. Got hired on the Winter Dew Tour working 3 major national snowboard competitions. Worked 6 weeks all winter with my snowboard by my side. So yeah it wasn't the typical 9-5 way of living and I snowboarded in Argentina in August /sept because of an airline credit I had to use by default... that kinda helped also
Win...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.