Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Splitboard purchase

19K views 126 replies 16 participants last post by  killclimbz 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, I'm gonna break down and do this. I'm tired of searching for used. It seems like a decent used setup is going to run $5-600 and if I'm gonna drop that kind of coin, I might as well go ahead and buy new and have a warranty.

Still, I'm not trying to break the bank here.

The options I'm considering

Voile Mojo 166
Prior Backcountry 165
K2 Panoramic 162 or 168

Honestly, I'd be sold on the Panoramic IF they made something in between the 162 and the 168. That seems like one helluva jump between sizes. Ideally, I'd want something in the 164-165 range. In riding shape with all my gear, I'm probably 200-205#. 210# tops. I like the system K2 uses to secure the skins. I like the fact that it's a little on the softer side and slightly freestyle oriented. My only concern is exactly how freestyle oriented is it? I'm not looking for a split park stick, but if it's something along the lines of an NS Heritage, I would consider that ideal.

Deal wise, I think the Prior may be the best deal. It's on clearance for $576 through REI and I'm seeing Voile kits and skins on sale elsewhere for $120ish each. Total investment for it would be under $850. It'd be $900ish for the K2. $720ish for the Voile.

My normal riding style at the resort is lots of hard charging, lots of jumping off everything I can find and a lot of pow butters when the opportunity presents itself. Resort riding is a fairly equal mix of a NS Evo, NS Heritage, and Capita Charlie Slasher for pow days. My backcountry riding is relatively limited and has mostly been relegated to survival mode on legs beat to shit trying to keep up with killclimbz and his crew. :laugh:

What say you guys?

See less See more
#71 ·
this works well if your skin glue is dirty, it pulls the top layer of glue and all the dirt up. If you glue is old, best to remove it and add new. I've read somewhere else that the drycleaners will clean the glue off the skins, if you dont have killclimbs glue iron. Good time to get the split gear ready, its a bit colder every morning.

#69 ·
I've got him covered on re gluing the skins. I have this handy little device called a glue iron. It's for removing skin glue. It's a wide flat blade that gets very hot. It removes skin glue like a hot knife through butter. Just re apply new skin glue, done.

Looks like BD is being a bit of a pita with Gold Label though. No more cans of it. Spot tubes and glue strips only. I'll have to look and see what REI has. My gut feeling is that a couple of the tubes would work better than the strips and cheaper. But I don't know on that one. Shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Definitely get some Sparks. Check Bentgate to see if they have any last years Burner's left.

#70 ·
Awesome pick up! Check out Mountain Gear's website to see if they have any Sparks left from last year, they were still in stock and on sale two weeks ago when I ordered! BUT if you're not planning on going with Sparks, I'll take those LT touring brackets from ya (and give you my Voile ones AND slider plates).

#76 ·
Buy 'em from Mountain Gear, you won't find split bindings cheaper, shit never goes on sale.

From what I've seen, Spark has seperate LT brackets for the Fuze and Burner/Blaze. Your brackets might only work with the Fuze.

yes, worth the extra $20 - pretty sure they're just a stiffer highback.

this years burners have a wider ankle strap (from the diodes) which i like better for riding, but i think will get trashed quickly from skinning. i ripped one up with just like 30 days of resort riding.
I'm pretty sure the Burners had a slightly stiffer ankle strap last year too, mine are pretty stiff.

#75 ·
yes, worth the extra $20 - pretty sure they're just a stiffer highback.

this years burners have a wider ankle strap (from the diodes) which i like better for riding, but i think will get trashed quickly from skinning. i ripped one up with just like 30 days of resort riding.

#78 ·
The Burner has a stiffer highback and thicker better straps.

Zag is right about LT Brackets. At least I am pretty sure. They only work with the fuse. Without re reading everything did you get the pins for the Brackets too? You have to use specific pins, the regular ones grind through the bracket. So if someone wants 'em then you probably should sell them. That is if you get a new spark binder. If no one on this thread wants 'em, I sent Ale Capone my old Fuse binders. He might want 'em. You should be able to get $30-$40 bucks no problem.

Yes, spend the extra $20 for the Burners. Unless you want a freestyle noodle binder for bc riding.

#85 ·
The wife is putting the screws to me. She's trying to tell me I need to either get the bindings OR get a Loveland pass. I'm getting both, just gotta figure out what I'm going to sell as a peace offering. As much as I love it, my NS Evo may hit CL. It really just doesn't fit my riding style and would probably only get ridden 8-10 times a season with my current quiver. My old rock board could serve the same purpose.

#87 ·
No doubt. She knows how much I love my Evo, so when I tell her I'm planning to sell it, she may just say to go ahead and just buy the bindings. :p

Still though, the new job is a M-F 9-5 and my weekday riding is pretty much done. I'll probably be lucky to get in 30-35 days on the mountain and I now have 4 solid boards. No need for that many boards at this point.

I have:

NS Evo
NS Heritage
Capita Charlie Slasher
soft, park oriented rock board

I love my Evo, but to me, it's the clear odd man out given my riding style. I wanna keep my dedicated pow stick Charlie Slasher. I'm already selling my older cambered NS Heritage. I'm supposed to meet a guy tomorrow for him to buy it. Hopefully that'll be $200 in pocket. I figure I could probably squeeze another two bills out of my Evo.

#88 ·
Still though, the new job is a M-F 9-5 and my weekday riding is pretty much done.

NS Evo
NS Heritage
Capita Charlie Slasher
soft, park oriented rock board

I love my Evo, but to me, it's the clear odd man out given my riding style. I wanna keep my dedicated pow stick Charlie Slasher. I'm already selling my older cambered NS Heritage. I'm supposed to meet a guy tomorrow for him to buy it. Hopefully that'll be $200 in pocket. I figure I could probably squeeze another two bills out of my Evo.
Ouch guess we ain't riding. I was gonna say get the weekday pass since its cheaper and I am :(. Maybe u can join us for a sun-tues trip to silverton - planning to go a few times hopefully after xmas, perhaps one scout down there before.

So you are just keeping the Slasher and the split? Or u got a modern Heritage as well?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.