Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Introduce yourself
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #1714 (permalink)
tigre

Hey there, I'm a new female snowboarder in Valdez, AK. I moved up here a couple of years ago after living down south for thirty years. Making up for lost time as far as winter is concerned. Aside from a couple of times in Utah a decade and a half ago, last winter was my first season snowboarding.

We don't have resorts here, so it's all backcountry, but there are still plenty of good places to learn and lots of encouragement all around you to get better so you can go ride some really gnarly stuff. Kinda funny to be bootpacking bunny hill laps and watching people get dropped off on heli runs. Everybody started somewhere though, and it's just amazing to have this terrain in our backyard and be able to make that progression in the same place. My boyfriend has been riding here since he was a kid and worked for a couple of the local heli companies, so I do have a pretty good teacher, as well.

I've been riding a Capita Charlie Slasher 154, which is super fun, and just bought a K2 Panoramic 154 and some Light Rails (gotten for an amazing deal), so I'm really excited about this season. I think I'll get a lot more riding in with the splitty than when I was mostly bootpacking. We get about nine months of good snow a year, so I'm sure I'll keep adding to the quiver, though it may wind up being a quiver made up almost entirely of powder boards.

Last edited by tigre; 09-26-2012 at 10:02 PM.
tigre is offline   Reply With Quote