Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - 40 Year Old wanting to hit some kickers
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #31 (permalink)
ARSENALFAN
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
What kind of physical shape are you in? yes, us old dudes heal more slowly, but if you are still jacked and have good flexibility then you will be much less prone to to injury.

I have a pal who still looks like he did back in college (pretty cut) who has almost no problems throwing himself off of big jumps/rocks. The other skiers/riders in our group who are the same age but not in as good shape have to give such maneuvers much more careful thought.

For what its worth, i threw myself off of the same rock. Hurt my knee on the landing a little bit (note to self: do not do big drops unless you are sure the snow beneath has enough powder to properly cushion a landing), but it wasn't anything major and I was still good to ride the rest of the trip (though I did avoid huge drops after that)

The other guys (except for the rookie skier) were taller, fatter, and in worse shape than I was... so doing the same jump would have probably been bad news for them.

Well I am in decent shape. In the last couple years I have went from 220 pounds down to 174. My quads and calfs are huge but my upper body certainly needs some work. Kind of scrawny. I am actually lifting weights for the first time ever prepping to hit the slopes.
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote