Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Denver suburbs locals! I need some advice
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
snowklinger
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Bam View Post
And i was looking at evergreen a little bit as well because of the mountain access but it kinda seems like there would be less employment opportunities/less businesses which eventually may mean id have a farther drive to work, anyone know if this is true?
The thing is, if you can be near i70 in Evergreen (some people in "Evergreen" live 35 minutes from that exit) you are as close to downtown as any of the suburbs, that exit, to the bottom of the hill (Golden) is 8miles. So working downtown from Evergreen is a mellow commute. I work in Evergreen and drive 60miles rt on my work days, and usually further into the mountains on my days off. Getting a Loveland pass this year, my work in Evergreen is near i70 as well, I can get back to work in 35 minutes from the Love.

Quote:
Other thing i was thinking too, has anyone moved to denver area in the winter like were about to? Im hoping the drive wont be too sketchy in the U-haul if we go through new mexico instead of the i-70 route
Yea it will be sketchy if you are in a hurry. Otherwise try to wait out storms and its mellow, they manage the passes on all the interstates well.

The effectiveness of modern snowtires cannot be understated or undervalued. Good snowtires>chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Bam View Post
snowklinger how are far is your place from the vail resorts?

I think when i mapped it out from lakewood it was something like this:

A-basin and keystone - 1 hour and 15 mins

Breck - 1 hour and 30 mins

Beaver Creek and Vail - 2 hours
Accurate considering you ride weekdays like myself, and no weather. Weekend warriors can add 4-6 hours , however there are some tricks to beating the weekends.