Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Review: 2013 Never Summer Cobra (Leo)
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #69 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleraudio View Post
Thanks for the review!

When you say its not for a "new intermediate" why is that?

I'm a new intermediate but looking to get a board that will last me a long long time and progress with me.

I still kind of suck at riding. why would this board be too much for a guy like me?
I don't mean to rule it out for newer riders completely. My intentions are to warn you about the board. The handling characteristics just isn't suited for newer riders. The tail literally turns on a dime. When it comes to all-mountain, I'd like to think of myself as an advanced intermediate. It definitely threw me off-guard at first and took a few runs to get used to it.

If you're still learning the ropes on riding technique, this might cause you to get too comfortable with how the Cobra handles. Meaning, when you go to another board, it might cause you problems.

With the Cobra, when you're riding regular, you actually have to understeer the tail especially when doing skidded turns.

Then you have the issue of learning switch on it. Switch riding on the Cobra is funky.

My honest opinion is that a board like the Cobra is going to ride you rather than you riding it. That doesn't mean you cannot handle it eventually. I just think there are better options for you out there that will also allow you to grow into them.

If you're doing more freestyle, consider the Evo instead. It'll be much more forgiving and still an all-around banger for riding the entire mountain.

If you want more all-mountain with some park laps mixed in, look towards the Proto CT or SL.

All are great boards that you can learn on and grow into.