Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

recommended food in whistler

8K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  Soggysnow 
#1 ·
Can you recommend any good food items at ski après spots in whistler? *I just read reviews for most of the ski après spots in whistler on yelp and it seems like most of the reviewers complained about bad food at most of the ski après spots. *Based on the reviews, GLC seems like a pretty safe bet but I'd like to avoid going to the same restaurant more than once when I visit.

So can you recommend any good food items at any of the other ski après spots in whistler from your personal experience?

#2 ·
I'd say stick with basics -- stuff that it's really hard to screw up. I've never had a good restaurant meal in Whistler. They're not terrible -- just not good enough to make you feel good about the prices you're charged. Even the Spaghetti house -- how the fuck do you screw up pasta?

#8 ·
I get to whistler once or twice a year. My wife and daughter mostly control the restaurant selection. I just endure.

I'm a slave to burgers too. And pizza, and subs, and KFC, and... But I'm active enough to burn it off. I understand about trying different foods in different locations. If you're ever in Port Moody go to Pajos and get their fish and chips. Best on the planet. But I don't think Whistler really has a 'signature food'. They just have a bunch or refueling stations. I've been wracking my brains trying to think of one single memorable meal in Whistler, and I got nothing.

#9 ·
thanks donutz - I'll be staying at Nita Lake Lodge which is a top 3 hotel on tripadvisor. *They have 3 restaurants there - fix, cure and aura. *I think charcuterie plates is one of their specialties which I really, really like for ski après. Also their restaurant aura is supposed to be well-regarded I think. *So I think I'll probably make my rounds to all the usual suspects but like you said - only for basic refueling and save my food money for the hotel...

#19 ·
I'm not sure where it is because I was to young at the time, but Dad said there is a place just across a bridge? remember it being like a bar/grill and OMFG the ribs at that place were amazing... A place I will be looking for when I'm there this year... Just hope it is still there and hold up to the expectations I remember haha

#20 ·
Zogs Dogs!! End of thread :)

In all seriousness, my après ski experience is more focused on some tasty brews so I don't really know much about the food. Long Horns is a zoo so if that's what you like that is the place to be. I like GLC, and have been there for dinner/drinks a few times as well, but I'm a burger type of guy so I can't speak to the "healthy" food options. I like Dublin’s Gate for apre ski because it has a good atmosphere but isn’t as packed as Long Horns…again, I’ve never had anything but bar food like potato skins and junk like that.

If you can break your healthy rules for a bit, I swear the chili cheese fries at the lodge mid-mountain is the best thing I’ve ever had. Maybe it was because I was starving after 4 hours of knee deep powder, but still mighty tasty!

#22 ·
Speaking of food on the hill, the Horstmans Hut up on Blackcomb is pretty awesome. A bit pricey but perfect food for a snow day... or any winter day. Just makes so much sense. "Stews, European Style, hearty home-style fare and a BBQ on the patio". Stew, smoked meats and cheese with crusty bread is a pretty good lunch if you ask me! Although give it an hour before any serious riding after that. Possibly the most spectacular location for a restaurant i've been to.

#24 ·
I wouldn't expect much as far as apres ski food in Whistler. The base area is a tourist trap where the restaurants know there will be a ton of people who just want something fast to eat because they just came off the hill. "Apres" in my mind is "Yo, I'm starving. Get me something quick in a place I can chill" as opposed to "I'm looking for decent food."

There are some cool actual restaurants in the town but not really places I'd go with snowpants on. People do it in a lot of restaurants anyway but I want to show a little respect for places that try to have even a slightly classier vibe them. If that's what you're looking for - something that will serve an actual dinner - I can suggest some.

My idea of "apres" is PB&J in the parking lot so this isn't my area of expertise.

#25 ·
The typical good places are Longhorn at whistler base (skiers plaza) and Merlins at Blackcomb base. Longhorns is a favorite of mine.. it's all regular pub food but the patio is huge, has tons of heaters, music is going, and a shooter bar outside when you first walk in to the patio. A great place to chill, grab some quick food and a few beers after a day on the hill.

When it's busy or we want something a little nicer, walk down to Cinnamon Bear Bar downstairs in the Hilton. Nice place, some nice big chairs/couches, good food, and reasonable prices. If there's hockey or football on after we are done we head here to grab food and catch the game.

#26 ·
When it's busy or we want something a little nicer, walk down to Cinnamon Bear Bar downstairs in the Hilton. Nice place, some nice big chairs/couches, good food, and reasonable prices. If there's hockey or football on after we are done we head here to grab food and catch the game.
Good call on Cinnamon Bear. However, I have seen it pretty packed as it seems like a place the "locals" (i.e. youngsters that are living is Whistler for a little while) like to hang out.

#27 ·
Just got back from a 6 night stay in Whistler. We were lucky enough to have fresh powder all six days. As for the food, my partner is a total foodie so we ended up going to some pretty expensive places. Araxia lives up to its reputation -- great wine, great food. I think I had venison there that was super tender. Trattoria di Umberto has excellent pasta. They had a salmon cake appetizer special that was off the hook. On the regular menu, the linguini di mare really hit the sweet spot for us since we were craving pasta that night. The other spot we hit on a whim was the Rim Rock Cafe. By that point in our trip our credit cards were really starting to hurt so we just went with beers instead of vino -- which turned out great cuz they have an extensive local beer selection. The food was good too. For all three restaurants however, like someone above said -- it's good, but for the amount you're paying, you'd expect practically 2 michelin star quality. Maybe twenty years of global warming from now you'll find more reasonable prices in Whistler. As for now, two years after hosting the winter olympics, expect to spend a coupla Gs during a week-long stay.

-P23

#29 ·
Splitz was awesome! I was there last year. We found this small deli that I can't remember the name. It was very close to the Marketplace IGA. Walk out the door and go to the right. It's in the corner of the building next to it. I had there great homemade stew and bread. Good price for Whistler too.

#31 ·
whistler food sucks, the guy is right though the best for your money is splitz. That mongolian grill there is 18 dollard a pound, i get that for 6.95 here... Canada isnt know for their cuisine so dont expect much. Go to vancouver and have some oysters now thats good shiet

#36 ·
LOL!
this thread is hilarious. People are bitching about the food in whistler and they are basing it on their experience at KFC, Burritos, hot dogs and a list of shitty pubs you can find anywhere in north america.

Here is where I eat and I always have a memorable meal and Im picky as fuck.

Rimrock - Pure awesome for dinner and great atmosphere.

Quatro - Try the spaghetti quattro, might be the best spaghetti you have ever had.

Hys Steak House - Always consistent great steak

Grill Room (new steak house at the Fairmont) - Dont diss this unless you have tried it. I was so surprised at the quality of the steak id list it in the top 3 I've had.

Here are a couple of places to avoid at all costs which are supposed to be "good", but are shite.

Araxi - Dont go no matter how tempted. Looks nice from the outside. Last time I went both myself and my friend sent both our plates back, got a new plate and simply said we would leave based on what the brought back.

Bearfoot Bestro - Good but its a tourist trap you will pay 3xs the price for half the quality of the meal you get at the rimrock.

Cant comment on the pubs because I dont eat at them..im sure they all suck like every other pub. I love a good burger though and will admit the one in this thread looks good.

#37 ·
I'm sure most people on this forum, myself included would not be eating at those places most of the time seeing as they are the most expensive restaurants in town.

I'm surprised with your comment about Araxi, I had the $30 5 course special in the spring time for a friends dinner and it was amazing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.