Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Forward Stance and Canting
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Nito

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharkieKeaton View Post
This is probably a dumb question, but does canting help out at all with a forward stance?

My knees are shot, and canting seems to help- but I am wondering if I should only use canting on my front foot since my setup is forward.
Yes, it does but the canting is different.

Why it is a benefit:

I used to ride a forward stance and stance width is shorter; so canting allowed me to lengthen my stance.

How they are different:

For example: when riding duck, you want to squeeze your knees (to flex the board longitudinally) and cant your feet/knees inwards.

But when riding a forward stance you are driving your rear knee forwards. Therefore, you want to cant your rear foot/knee forward; heel raised. Can not comment on front foot. You will need to experiment with your front foot to find what is comfortable.

Hope this helps

PS - Missed you comment about front foot. This really depends on your stance angles and stance width. If you can live with a narrow stance and you have a steep front angle +24 or better. Canting aids you to steer with your knee.

However, I rode with a +21 and could steer with my hip.

Last edited by Nito; 10-01-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Nito is offline   Reply With Quote