Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - rehab broken collarbone
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
timmytard
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepstealer View Post
I broke my collarbone last season...I wasn't even doing anything remotely "cool." I caught an edge and mousetrapped onto my left shoulder. Probably one of the more painful injuries I've ever received.

I had surgery on it a week or two later (this is back in early March). After about a month a half of being in a sling, I was finally able to use my left arm "regularly" and slowly worked it back up to semi-normal strength. I was able to to do my normal push-up routine by the beginning of June (guesstimating here).

I never went with any professional rehab...was this a bad move? I'm in my mid-twenties, fairly active and just kind of figured I would work back up to my normal strength eventually.

I usually join a gym in the winter months and I'm about to start REALLY lifting again in the next week or two. Should I be careful of anything or do you think I'm good to go?

Also wanted to ask to see if anyone had any good arm exercises for regaining lost muscle from a collar bone fracture.

I understand that a doctor's opinion is probably the best but thought I'd ask on here in case other riders had some advice.

Thanks!
Hopefully it will be fine, I've never done the collar bone so I have no idea.

But I swear by physiotherapy, I've had lots of injuries & physiotherapy does work miracles.
Doing your own rehab I'm sure helped. The electrical pulse thing they hook up to you sends electric current causing your muscles to flex like a million times a second( I'm exaggerating, but you get the point).
Nothing you can do even comes close to how many times this gets your muscles moving, it also goes in waves of different strengths.

For sure physiotherapy will make your injury heal faster than without it.
The final results might be the same, but physiotherapy will get you back out there faster.

A lot of the things they make you do is working on proper movements, injuries tend to cause you to change the way you did something before, obviously cause it hurts like a son of a bitch. They will get you back to doing things with the proper mechanics.

Breaking a bone will also cause some damage to the ligaments & tendons surrounding it. That's what physio is for not the actual broken bone, only time will fix that.

I ain't makin' this shit up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg profilepic9545_2.gif.jpg (3.4 KB, 67 views)

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote