Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Catboarding skill requirement - how good do you need to be?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
timmytard
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
I'd like to go catboarding this winter, likely for one day to try it out.

This would be in BC, likely Whistler as I'll be there already on a vacation riding the resort.

Any thoughts on the right skill level to do this - I've been boarding for a few years now, can go on the single black runs at Whistler, a little cautious in the steeper parts of those. Not ready for the double black runs at whistler. My only realy powder experience has been the occasional snowy day where I've been able to play around some in the powder on resort slopes.
How long are you in Whistler? Just book it for the end of the trip.
If you can board black diamond @ Whistler, especially icy shitty chopped up snow. I think you'll be just fine.
For 1, Whistler's black diamonds aren't your average North American black diamond.
2ndly, They're not going to take you to the run from "Terje's First descent",
even if you wanted too.
3rdly, They will dumb it down, from your description I think you will rip shit up in the intermediate class.
Even within each category, you'll have options on what you want.

I don't know what your riding for a stick?, but chances are it ain't a pow stick.
Rent one, don't be a stubborn ass & insist that your boards fine or that your used to it. Trust me it's not, & it won't do.

Go to a rental place right when you get there, if your taking a vacation there, you should be able to afford to rent a board for a few days before, so you can get used to it.
Maybe you ride switch a lot & your stance is all ducked out.
You ain't going to be riding switch any more than using it to turn back around, so your duck stance might have to be adjusted a bit.
A couple days on the renter with a new stance should get you used to it.
Or even if your stance stays the same a couple days to get used to a bigger pow specific board will deff help.

Or maybe just let your friends go & you stay behind

Do it, you won't regret it.

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote