Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - What if I Don't Wax...
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #28 (permalink)
herzogone
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by biocmp View Post
Where do you read these papers? What structure does he advocate? a lattice of sorts? Are there any experimental materials being used?
The underlined portions in my post are links to several of them. Here's one more: Friction characteristics between ski base and ice and here is Kuzmin's thesis, just for convenience. It details the structures he found most effective (it has been too long since I read it for me to recall the details) and he also analyzes P-Tex with additives like graphite and PTFE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Bingo dude nailed it. Structure sure that makes sense wax eh you're not going to notice it. My friends that are pro opening day at Breck were talking about how they waxed the night before so they could clear the jumps, dudes were making it to the knuckle I was taking it to flat every time unless I drastically speed checked.

The only time I wax anymore is if I'm trying to remove sludge from the base of my board like when I go to Bear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
Thanks guys

Also, in the interest of completeness, I forgot to add that the same general characteristics apply to extruded bases as well, since they are the same basic material (UHMWPE), just a little softer form due to manufacturing technique.
herzogone is online now   Reply With Quote