Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Rodeo - Contact Pro - Malavita

14K views 50 replies 14 participants last post by  Triple8Sol 
#1 · (Edited)
I just recently sold my atv and have a little extra cash to buy a softer set of bindings. I currently have Capo's and have had Ride bindings for years. I've ridden others periodically when swapping friends boards and what not but nothing really sustained. I was thinking about branching out and try something else for a season. These will be on a Academy Propaganda, and maybe my Kink some and used with Ride triad boots.

I like the style of these 3 best and want to choose between these. Canting is important to me and I have seen DIY canting for union bindings since they have yet to put this tech in themselves. People say it works well from what I've read. Cushioning and a comfy ankle strap are also important because my feet cramp and hurt easy.

I know the problems with each rides ratchets, unions toe strap, don't hear many complaints about burton. Just looking and curious if I should try something else or stick with ride.

Thanks for any opinions
-henry

Edit: will be buying last year model.

#3 ·
The Malavitas are very solid bindings and pretty lightweight. What I didn't like about them was the reflex disc which is very small and doesn't hold the whole baseplate on your board. if you lift up the heel part of the bindings when they are mounted, they will lift half an inch. Also they aren't very customizable.

If you don't mind your bindings being medium weight rather than feather, check out the Forum Shaka. Very similar to the Malavita but with a more solid disc and a movable heel cup so your foot will always be centered (which was never the case with my Malavitas). They have canting and the straps and ratchets are great. Also, they didn't change anything for 2013 so you can easily go with the 2012 model.

#4 ·
Malavita's realy aren't that much softer, neither are Rodeos, and I felt like my Contacts were too soft for the Kink I had.

I'd more look at Raiden Zero's, Flux DS30, Flow 5's, or K2 Nationals.

If you want to go Burton, I swear Cartels are softer than Malavita's this year. I will be getting on them as soon as possible to verify, but the base is supposed to be the same glass content and the highback is noticeably softer.

#5 · (Edited)
The contact pro is really that much softer? The contact is unions softest binding i believe, but I was thinking the pro was a little more beefed up version. From what I read and review sites have the pro categorized with the rodeo and malavita. And the cartel, capo, and atlas in a category for similar bindings. Hmmm

I know it shouldn't be important but binding looks do come into play for me and I find the construction style of these three brands really catch my eye. I really do like flow and the concept. My friend has an older set and they really are super convenient especially around here. I was thinking I'd need more of the nx2 tech for my feet and I like cranking my straps down snug. I see they did add ratchets for 2013 but they don't have a canted footbed or the hing for the opening in the strap.

#11 ·
My reasons for thinking what I do is that the glass content in the bases of the Malavita and Cartel are the same. I've ridden the React Strap and Asym and there is not a noticeable difference in performance between the two. Then you play with the highbacks and the one on the 2013 Cartel is softer than I can ever remember seeing on a Cartel. When you push into the top of the Cartel highback it gives more than when you push into the top of the Malavita.

Companies label things wrong. And number systems are very arbitrary. Look at Forum. They still claim the Destroyer Doubledog is stiffer than the Youngblood Doubledog. I've ridden both. The Destroyer was fun to play in the tips, the Youngblood threw me down a few times. It is stiffer, I don't care what Forum's numbers say, the Youngblood was stiffer.

So yes, in the past the Cartel has been just a bit stiffer than the Malavita, the only things new are the react strap and highback. With that new highback I am heavily betting that it will now ride with more play up top, feeling softer.

#29 ·
Fact is, bindings are the same as boots - it's a personal choice and they fit everyone different. As many opinions you may listen to, nothing is going to give you a better idea than trying them yourself.

As much as people love Burton bindings, I hate them. They're the most uncomfortable things I've ever tried on. I've got some 2012 Contact Pro's now and they've been really good. The toe straps have been fine (I ride 32 lashed boots) and I've never had a problem with the ratchets. I've also not had a problem with the lack of 'cushioning' either. They're also pretty damn light which is great for park, and I haven't found them too soft or unresponsive when riding big mountain and powder.

The only real problem I have is with the heel cup that likes to loosen up and pops from "1" out to "2" - though it tends only to be on one side of the heel cup on one binding when it happens - and it never actually affects my riding. It's unnoticeable until I visually see it.

Really, you're not going to find a binding that fits you perfectly without trying a bunch. I always wonder how many people who try bindings and dislike them failed to adjust them to their boots and board correctly?

#30 ·
Still looking around and undecided. I was looking at burton and the cobra shark seems to be the med/soft binding from them im looking for. I've have not herd a lot about them and was wondering if they were a good solid binding and not just one of Burton's cheap crap binders. Also are they canted? Are they overly soft like the union contact?
Also on the flow five how well do the mini ratchets work?

#31 ·
They seem to be like the Cartel of the park bindings. Meaning if your a jibby park pro that doesn't have a binding sponsor, you buy Cobra Sharks. Seem to be a killer binding if you don't mind the stock forward lean. No canting as far as I can tell.

Fives have full ratchets this year. Otherwise the mini's are alright. They will tear up the ladders if you use them a lot though.

#32 ·
The stock forward lean is fine with me. I run forward lean already on my Ride bindings at the fist notch. I'm going to try and make it to a shop this weekend and hopefully they have some 2012 left for me to check them out.

#33 ·
go with the VITAs. i just picked up a pair today, i cant really vouch for them yet, but i put them on my board and strapped in and they felt awesome. Thy are really light, the autocant im sure works, the asym superstrap is really comfy and helps lock your boot in along with the heel hammock. That shit works great. Obviously the gettagrip strap is sick, and the canted highback is sweet.

The Union's toe caps, or should i say straps, are worthless. And the ratchets obviously suck too. Don't know much about the Rodeos but i would say the Malavitas are the way to go. Good for all around with mainly park oriented guys. :thumbsup:

#34 ·
If canting is the most important thing, go Malavitas. They're not really as soft as advertised, like Nivek said. The reflex tech does lift the binding off the board, but didn't bother me enough to care.

If a softer binding is more important, go Contact Pro, they have a great lateral flex for presses a sick highback for tweaks and are really light. The baseplate is also carbon injected so it's a bit stiffer than the regular contacts, highback is much firmer/responsive too. I think they're my most versatile binding it's a 50-50 shot on what I'm going to ride or who I'm going to ride with.

#35 ·
I think I decided that I am going with the 2012 Burton Cobra shark then. I was wondering if I should go with the basic Cobra shark or the Cobra shark Mud shark?? I think the difference is just the winged high back. I am not a complete fan of the look but they said its rather functional.

#36 ·
Winged highbacks don't make a huge difference in riding imho. I have some on my malavitas and don't really notice a difference between the stock highbacks.

So go with what color you like best.

Did you get a good price on the 'sharks?
They're not canted like the 'Vitas and they're not as tech or as light as the Contact Pros.

#37 ·
I found the 2012 cobra sharks for $107. The malavita's sound a lot like the Capo's that I already have and I'm not really finding any 2012 on sale. Only est and 2011 in el noche color way. Weight isn't a huge deal unless they are overly heavy. I do want canting, but I haven't really found any with the mid mid/soft flex.

#39 ·
I really like Ride. I have the capo and love them and had delta's for a few years and did those also. I just want to try out some other brands and broaden my experience with other equipment.

#43 ·
Idk if this got touched on yet, but did you consider Rome 390 Boss? If not, check them out! They are a big favorite as far as comfort, canting, durability, all-mountain/freestyle riding. There's also the Raiden Phantom which sounds like an awesome pair of bindings and gets great reviews. Not saying you shouldn't get cobrasharks, just saying there are a lot of bindings that are generally considered better than them and fit your needs.

#44 ·
First off I just want to say I hate you all. Every time I have it narrowed down and think I'm done other stuff gets thrown back in the mix... So here is where I stand now with prices. I want to stay south of $150.

These are my final choices and I can then let this thread die:
1) Flow the five: $120 - I like the convienance just worried about if I can keep them snug how I like and how cushie the base is.
2) Burton Cobrashark: $107 - I would like them to be canted but they do sound like what I want still. Have an asym strap like the mala's.
3) Union contact pro: $145 - I know I keep thinking they are not what I want but I just want to see if they live up to their hype... Plus love the styling. Only found one pair of 2012's and they are S/M but I think I could fit my 9 1/2 ride triad in them.
4) Rome 390 Boss: $115 - by far the best deal and have the features I'm looking for, but just never have really been into the Rome for some reason.
5) flux ds30: can't find any 2012's or in my price range.

#45 ·
Dude get the freaking 390 Boss if you can get them in your size for that cheap! I'd say they better than everything else you have listed except maybe the flux ds30 which I don't know much about but have heard good things. 390 boss are going to have cushioned footbeds, comfy ankle straps, AWESOME toe straps, canting, and more. If I could get them for $115 I wouldn't even think twice about it. Rome is one of the best snowboard companies out there (including their boards but especially their bindings!). GET THEM! :D

#47 ·
I am down for used. I don't trust eBay and nobody has anything on Craigslist really around me. I do look at gear trade frequently and that's where the contact pros are but the only malavita's they have are EST.

#51 ·
I played with the B bindings in the store and wholeheartedly agree with Nivek on the flexes. According to their site in terms of soft-stiff it goes Mission-->Cartel-->Malavita. In reality it's Cartel-->Malavita-->Mission. The Cartel is softer than ever before, but not necessarily a bad thing since it feels similar to the current K2 Formula and Flux TT30 to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.