Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Jackson Hole
Thread: Jackson Hole
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tarzanman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRVA View Post
Can any locals or anyone familiar with JHMR give me some tips. Any hidden gems on and off the mountain? Good powder stashes or cheap but good eats?
Cheap eats are going to be an issue in the village. Burgers at the Moose are reasonably priced for a resort, but you're still going to drop $10+ on lunch on the mountain.

As for powder stashes, I have not usually had a problem finding something if it has snowed the the past 24 hours. Barring that, your best bet for finding lightly ridden terrain is to hike up to (or past) Headwall. Most people don't bother venturing up there. Be warned, though... if you are an out of shape sea-level dweller then the hike will take you 20+ minutes. Most locals hike up it in like 15 min (or less if they are kids!)

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. When you were there last year did you stay in the village or in Jackson?
I have stayed both in town (Snow King) and at the Teton Village. The Village is much more convenient for riding, but less so if you have to get in and out of town a lot (for going out to dinner or to the supermarket, etc).

Quote:
I'll be staying in Jackson, I imagine there's a shuttle from Jackson to the mtn hourly?
The morning shuttles run a little more often than that, but they can be a bit of a pain when you are sitting or standing on one for 30+ minutes with all of your gear, making a dozen stops to pick people up. If you are taking the shuttle to the mountain, then catch the first one that you can in the morning.

Quote:
I had heard that when storm rolls through that Targhee tends to get more snow. So, I definitely planning on hitting it up at least once.
Only been to Targhee once. It does get nicer snow, but the day I went was windy as heck. Traveling there and back will consume your entire day (especially if you have to take the shuttle back into town). Nothing wrong with the Targhee except the winding route you have to take to get to it.

Quote:
My family is using our timeshare there this year. So, unfortuently we're stuck for the week that we have. I wished it was later bit later. But, I can't complain too much it's still Jackson Hole and worlds better than what I have access to locally. I'm hoping/praying for a better year all around the US this year. I have positive feelings about this season.
Town is interesting enough. If you do a half day during the week then you can check out the gear swap (by the K-mart), do a super-cheap day of riding at the Snow King, or check out the very very yummy bakeries around town.
Read on another forum: "If someone held a gun to my head and said, "You have to move to Salida tomorrow", I'd probably do it. If they told me I had to go to Breckenridge instead, I think I'd just let them pull the trigger."
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote