Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Denver suburbs locals! I need some advice

8K views 90 replies 16 participants last post by  Skinny Bam 
#1 ·
So my best friend and I are moving just outside of denver around end of december/january 1st from Arizona for a couple reasons:

1) Our closest mountain in AZ is 2 hours and kinda sucks so we end up driving 3.5 hours to our slightly better mountain which is still as you can imagine not the best. The worst part is most of our 30 days we got in this season were day trips, which means 7 hours in the car for 7 hours of riding and work the next day. Ya, you could call us dedicated.

2)We have both lived in AZ for almost our whole lives and are ready to experience summer where you can go outside and actually have more than 2 seasons.

So our first priority for our apt/condo is access to the mountains( we both already got epic passes) and 2nd still within range of lots of work opportunity.

With my research I am leaning towards moving to lakewood as its on the west side of denver but still relatively close to possible jobs and the rent is pretty cheap from what ive seen (right now we pay 1000 for a 3 bedroom condo)...my roomate will be xfering to Pf changs which there is one right in lakewood and i will probably be looking to work at Charles Schwab or some retail bank since thats where my experience is.

So I guess what im looking for is suggestions from people familiar with the west side of denver and what areas you think would be best so I can ride as much as possible but still not be too far from work.

Riding is my #1 priority but unfortunately need to make money at some point as well

BTW I am saving enough $$$ so i can just ride and chill the first 2-3 months while i get settled so job availability right away is not a concern. :thumbsup:
And i would be interested in possibly sharing rides to summit since im sure i will be driving by myself a decent amount in the first 2 months cuz my buddy will be working while im just kicken it

Any tips or suggestions you guys have is appreciated

See less See more
#50 ·
Yea another option from leaving early on a saturday is staying through dinner and driving home after 6-6:30.

You can still use the Copper strategy at those mountains but you have to know how to get to the secret spots and stay away from the crowds. Those 3 Vail resorts just probably get more people on snowplanks then anywhere in the world...theres not much you can do - its a fact.

I've only ridden 2 saturdays teh last 2 years, when friends visited from out of town. I've told them to come midweek, and from now on I'm sticking to it. I'm busy on the weekends - I run a kitchen!

-got the tips talking to old-schoolers around the bar who still ride weekends and make it work.

#61 ·
I finally had to head to Denver last weekend on Sunday afternoon to drop a friend at the airport. Fuck that I70 shit. I'm just happy that I was fortunate to have a good job up here and not have to commute to the mtns. I would not do it.

I work 3-11p and my job is About 100 yards walking distance from the base of lions head gondola.

#63 ·
I'm a nurse. There are year round jobs up here. There is a year round community here too. The year round people are pretty chill. The second home owners and vacationers are typically the ones that give vail a bad name for being snooty. Eagle-vail, Edwards, Avon and minturn all have lots of year round people too and year round jobs.

#66 ·
Right now im just doing a jack of all trades job at a software reseller in boulder. Its a small company. Customer service, chargebacks, fraud department, LOL I do it all here :)

Degree is in music recording so that pretty much out the window....

I'd basically take anything if it was decent paying.

#77 ·
Haha nice, what part of CO you at? Ill probably be riding M-F for at least January and Feb before I start working :D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Cant say the same for my roomie so im down to maybe share some rides up there with some of you guys to save on gas! Im thinkin about $20 a day in gas is gonna add up pretty quick if im going 5 days a week..

#79 ·
Oh ok, dont know exact location yet but most likely gonna be westside of lakewood....so if your taking wadsworth down to the 6 we would cross paths most likely. Unfortunately were not moving until the end of december but once im there im gonna be going A LOT, we'll have to figure something out man.

You a pretty good rider? I like to ride a good amount of park and trees(not that we'd have to ride together but always nice to have a homie with similar capabilities)

#86 ·
Pretty much all of the snow that falls now is going to have an impact on avalanche danger. The best scenario now is that we get storms on a regular basis. Not much more than a week apart at least. If that happens, the depth hoar shouldn't be anywhere as nasty as last season. Frequent refreshes insulate the snow and keep that rot from building too fast. Wishful thinking, but hey, I am glass half full kind of guy...

#87 ·
Anyone ever made the drive from AZ to CO through the New Mexico route?

Im thinking we might just haul a trailer but dont know if it will be safe at the end of December....

From what I can tell off google maps it doesnt look too sketchy but anyone know first hand??

#88 ·
You should be all good to go! I've rolled up from Tucson through Albuquerque and into Denver a few times and since you're coming up from the south, through Colorado Springs it's not as bad as coming straight over from Cali. Go for it! If you see some snow or sketchy looking road conditions just take it easy. Slow and steady and you'll make it no problem hauling a trailer.

Whenever you do make it in, definitely hit me up when you're ready to ride. I'd love to catch a ride up if you're going to make use of your Epic pass and are rolling solo. I live in longmont but am down to come up and meet you somewhere.

#89 ·
I-70 sucks so bad. I have been stuck on that highway for hours and I hate it. A couple of years ago my friend and I were stuck on Vail Pass for 5 hours. There were wrecks every all over the place, pretty sure some people died. I saw multiple nasty accidents that day. 1-70 shuts down a lot. The gas you will use to get to the mountains will eat away at your cheap rent. Also constantly driving your car on I-70 for miles will increase the wear and tear on your car. I-70 is one hell of a highway. I like not going on it. Weekend warriors can suck it, but we need them for our lively hood.

There are lots of shitty restaurant jobs in the mountains. My guess if you get one in Denver you will be paid less than in the mountains and would be using a lot of gas to get the ski areas. Tourists are on vacation and don't want to cook dinner, so the restaurants are hiring. Has it occurred to you to look at the Colorado craigslist? The Rocky Mountain Colorado craigslist will have job and rent postings. This would give you a good idea on the rent and employment.

I am not scared walking my harmless friendly wiener dog in my Mountain Mexican Neighborhood.

#91 ·
Luckily for me Ill be riding Monday through Friday and not many weekends so an hour and 15 minish drive give or take a lil depending where im headed to isnt too bad in my opinion. But trust me I hear you, I wish I could move to Avon, Dillon, etc., I've looked at places on Craigslist and prices arent too bad. My roommates are the ones working in the food biz and are transferring so im kinda stuck in Lakewood at least for our 1st lease. But there is also more options for my line of work in the Denver area which will allow me to work nights and keep my M-F riding schedule once I have to start working again. Luckily Ive got enough to get me at least 3 months of all riding and no work :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.