Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Bataleon 2012 Q & A

199K views 752 replies 138 participants last post by  Robisten8 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Back from SIA in Denver and just visited a long and winding thread here full of questions about 2012 Bataleon.

I spent a bunch of time with Bataleon guys and will be happy to answer any Q's abot the upcoming line.

As an up front, Bataleon had a breakthrough year in 2011 and is going to explode in 2012. TBT has come of age! On a graphics front, the boards look insane (way better even than the pictures I am seeing). A new pressing process allows the TBT to show through the topsheet. This is not a performance thing, but it does help riders to visualize the tech.

The Evil Twin SE and the Women's FeelBetter (yeaaahh!) look ill.

STOKED!!!!!

#691 ·
great thread!

curious to see what suggestions i'll get :thumbsup:

a couple years ago i bought a Jam 161w off the classifieds here, i had to see what tbt was all about after reading so much about it. That board blew my mind, amazing. I sold it to a friend when i tweaked my back and couldn't ride.

Now i'm ready for another board, and as much as i loved the Jam- i'm looking to go for something more playful and less of a badass. I'll be riding with my 2 young kids so i might as well have something that's fun for buttering around on, and still be able to handle some higher speed and hopefully a bunch of powpow on when i get the chance.
Will be riding mostly Bridger Bowl and some at BigSky.

No park for me, too old.

Weight is 210lbs
Foot is sz 10
Height= lots

While i'd love a '13 model, i think i'll stick with wiredsport.com 's selection of '12 boards.

Here's what i'm thinking- 158w Whatever or a 160w Goliath.
A little worried that the Whatever will be too soft??

(also, i know i dont need a wide board, i just think that it helps when really laying it over in a carve. the Jam was sooo fast edge to edge i couldn't believe it and it was a wide)

I should probably consider the Omni too, but i'd be concerned it wouldn't be as fun for messing around on the green runs that i'll be on with my kiddos.

Open to suggestions!
Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

#693 ·
I see that you are aware of the width issue, but am still going to pick up on it: Not only do you not need a wide board, you almost certainly would be (considerably) worse off with one. Edge-to-edge is just one thing - sufficient edge pressure and control is just as important.
This is especially true for carving - I am pretty sure that a regular width board would be much better for your carving than a wide one...

#692 ·
Stoked that you had so much fun on the Jam!

A few suggestions on your new deck. With a size 10 you should not go with a wide model. The Whatever is the correct stiffness for your specs for what you have described.

I would highly suggest the Whatever 159. It is perfect fro what you are looking to do...and much more. Yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh!

#694 ·
:D i knew i wouldnt get off the hook with this wide/non-wide thing!

thanks for the reco's!

lets talk width for a sec

the difference on the whatever is 9mm |____ |

split that in half and it's 4.5mm added to either side of the board, that's about 3/16's of an inch | |

the Jam i had was my first wide board and it didnt pose any problems for me, maybe it would bother a shorter rider? (i'm sorta tall)

i almost think the little bit of extra width works well when really tilted over, keeps the boots outta the snow. (i only run -3º on my back foot)

Wiredsport, Thanks for the vote on the Whatever! I would've guessed you'd say Goliath :) I get to save a few bucks!

#695 ·
lets talk width for a sec
Yup. Let's get it perfect.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).

#697 ·
Got it. The Whatever 158 Wide is 26.3 at the waist and 27.3 at the center inserts. That gives you 1 mm of overhang a zero degrees and with any angle at all you will be within the confines of the edges. a 10 degree angle would put you about 1 cm shy of the edges. You don't want that.

The 159 is 254 waist and 264 center insert. That gives you a centimeter at zero degrees and plenty of room for angle which will result in better leverage, more power, and more fun!

#699 ·
Looking a Bataleon for a all around park board, considered other boards but I'm almost positive I'm going with Bataleon, I looked at the Evil Twin the only thing was I heard if was on the stiffer side plus the Twin TBT has a narrower center base then the GLOBAL WARMER came along with the park TBT which is wider I'm going to assume better to stability going into jumps and also it's still good for jibbing and rails and butters. Any objections on this board for med - big jumps ? Also size suggestion if I'm only going to use for park . I'm consider 148 or 151 I normally ride a 154 all mountain so I know the 154 will be to much .. I'm 160lbs 5'7" size 10 boot

Thanx

#700 ·
Hi Lester,

The new GW was designed to be a high end material park board that shares it other specs with the Airobic. There is carbon between the bindings which stiffens the mid section a bit and adds immediacy to the response there as well. It gets a sintered base and the hardwood stringers move from the center (on the Airobic) to edge (on the GW). Bataleon lists the flex as the same for both models, but the GW feels (a little - OK, very little) stiffer.

The ET is a more powerful deck, but I would still hesitate to call it on the stiff side. That will depend a lot on what you have been riding. So...What have you been riding?

Thanks!

#701 ·
In the last 3 years or so I've been on Burton Custom (tradition camber) didn't care for it to much but it was on the stiff end, Lib Tech Banana Magic (current all mountain board) its also on the stiff end i really like this board but its not that forgiving, I also have a Jones Hovercraft for pow (med-stiff) but I love that board in Pow amazing

#703 ·
I'm actually looking for something softer do you think the GW will be too soft for big jumps ?? Only reason I'm asking is that if it will work well all around then ill get that one, ET is good but it's got twin TBT narrow for jibbing and there are only 2 with the Park TBT and GW takes the cake between them. Also you think I can get away with getting a 151? I'm trying to keep it shorter for park use

#704 ·
Hi again,

No board is perfect at everything. It is always a series of compromises. The difference in TBT width between Park and Twin is subtle. The difference in flex between the ET and GW in pretty significant. The GW will be much more playful for presses, butters etc and will be great for jibbing but will not match the ET or your Lib for big hits.

Going to a 151 on the GW would work for sure but you will again lose some positivity in landing those bigger hits.

#709 ·
Goliath vs Whatever

I currently have an older Goliath that needs to be replaced. I'm debating between getting another Goliath as my all mountain go to stick, but am curious about the Whatever. Am I right to assume that the Whatever it is basically a lower end version of the Goliath?

#710 ·
I currently have an older Goliath that needs to be replaced. I'm debating between getting another Goliath as my all mountain go to stick, but am curious about the Whatever. Am I right to assume that the Whatever it is basically a lower end version of the Goliath?
Not exactly. The Goliath is also stiffer (triax versus biax) gets a sintered base, different insert positions/options and different size options.

#711 ·
Whatever 153 or 156

Great thread which has persuaded me to buy my first board, the Whatever. As it is my first board, I'm a little unsure whether to go for the 153 or 156. I'm 5'8, 150lbs and boot size US9.5. I'm a beginner/intermediate with only 1 week's boarding behind me but I anticipate I'll be mostly cruising, dipping in and out of the powder occasionally but not much time in the park. Which size would you guys suggest (wired, I'm looking a you :))?

Also, I was thinking of combining the board with Burton Mission Restricted 2012 bindings. Good set up or not?

Grateful for any replies

This post has been deleted
#718 ·
I'm a pretty hard charger on the groomers and in the glades, and seek the powder whenever and wherever it's available. My stick of choice has been an NS Raptor which has done the job admirably.

I've stayed away from most freestyle riding based on a busted knee and but I'm looking to dabble with some freestyle riding this year for the days without the fresh snow. So basically a board that can bite on the groomers but still playful. What I'm having trouble with is finding something that isn't too flexible but flexible enough to justify a second board. Would I go "freestyle" or "all mountain freestyle."

My stats are 215 lbs with a 9.5 boot.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
i'd say Goliath

#713 · (Edited)
I'm currently selling my Bataleon Evil Twin 157 2012. Rode it two days and exchanged it for a NeverSummer which I could get for a great price here in the UK. Usually Im living in Germany, where prices for NeverSummer Boards are way too high, so I just had to buy it. The Evil Twin looks like a new Board, which makes sense as I only used it in the Alps in Montafon for two days. If someone is interested post me a message. Put it online here: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bu...bataleon-evil-twin-157-2012-a.html#post532514

#716 ·
Bataleon Evil Twin Thread issues

So as I mentioned before I was planning on taking out my new Evil Twin tomorrow but my plans were quickly changed when I tried putting my bindings on for the first time on the board ... first off I'm not a newbie to installing bindings that said I was screwing on the bindings got all 4 screws on (loose) to start them off then started tightening them down lightly and 3 went on fine the last one I was trying to tighten and it was tight after about a 1/2 of turn. I stopped didn't put any pressure on the screw and tried to reverse it no luck couldn't move forward or backward it was seized on it felt.. Did anyone have this happen to them it obvious was happen it got cross thread but how is that possible if it started off fine then out of no where it's stuck. Any suggestions on how to avoid this because I'm honestly nervous to put bindings on the new one

#717 ·
Hi,

So that understand, are you saying that you are now unable to back the screw out and that it is on in 1/2 turn? If that is the case you are still at the very top of the insert and there should be little problem. Let us know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.