Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Final First Car Thread!
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
SPAZ
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Final First Car Thread!

hey guys, it's been a while! i'm liking the redesign.... real sick.

i know that i've been talking about this forever, but i got a co-signer for a 5 grandish car loan and i'm hoping to pick something out in two to three weeks. i've also changed my car criteria about a half dozen more times... but i think i know what i want now. or i'm just gonna have to be happy with it, and i obviously will be

after paying the first six months of insurance up front and dmv fees, i'm really looking at 4.5k to play with. give or take a little, not entirely sure how much my sister will go for at this point. i gotta pass a drug test for her among other things, first (bullshit).

i want 4 doors, a sunroof, and under 130k miles. after driving sedans versus suv's and wagons i'm more inclined to lose the cargo space for visibility. not to mention gas just hit four dollars a gallon, but i'm still open minded to suggestions. subaru's are cool, don't get me wrong: but the legacy's trunk is tiny as shit and the wind noise/lack of insulation in them are sort of a turn off. they just feel more on the cheap side.

my friend has a 97 audi a6 quattro, and i like it a lot. we took it to the mountain a couple times last season, the awd was really comforting but the car had weird electrical quirks (no rear defroster, air bags don't work, etc.) but the drivetrain itself is solid with maintenance and smaller repairs (assuming the trans doesn't go) to 250k. the only real downside is the complexity of the car will prevent me from doing many repairs myself, and the engine is sloooow.

i'm really digging the early 2000 acura rl's. the ONLY thing that bothers me is no fold flat rear seats, everything else about the car is perfect imo. it's super reliable and fwd would be fine for me. does anyone know if the trunk of these is big enough for three or so snowboards? or would i have to invest in a thule rack if i went this route?

also really like the current gen impalas. i could probably only find a 06 in my price range, unless i go to a used car auction. which i might just do since my neighbors a dealer and offered to take me, but i don't get to look stuff over first. i also learned to drive on one of these in drivers ed. rear seats fold down, and it even has a miles per empty reading, among other neat things on the built in computer.

i would still be open to a forester, i could find a nicely equipped one in my budget. but the aforementioned sedans are 10x cooler, don't get me wrong: the subies cool in it's own right. but it probably won't get me laid.

thanks again, everyone! can't wait for this season to get started, it's going to be great having my own transportation to the mountain this year. not to mention i just applied for a second job at ems, might take 10 hours a week there for the employee discount and supplement those starbucks bucks.
SPAZ is offline   Reply With Quote