Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Final First Car Thread!
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
slyder
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAZ View Post
after paying the first six months of insurance up front and dmv fees, i'm really looking at 4.5k to play with. give or take a little, not entirely sure how much my sister will go for at this point. i gotta pass a drug test for her among other things, first (bullshit).
This right here shows me that your sisters money is still at risk of being lost. She is doing you a HUGE favor and you question her charity because she is putting conditions on you. If I could show her this I would, as it appears you still haven't learned your lesson nor thankful that family is helping you out

As to the car. I didn't follow the other thread but do you have any clue what $4500 buys. In my area, obviously I can't speak to NY but it is a POS beat to crap car, with many repairs in your future.
I just bought my kid a car as he turned 16 a few months back. We found a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon 90K+ miles asking $7000. I was willing to pay that as it was in great shape, but was able to get it for $6500 and I slapped the cash in his hand before he could change his mind. I saw more junk in the $7000 range both private and dealer

Most cars with 100K+ that have had zero suspension work will more than likely be needing that. Have you priced out that work/parts. Even if you do the labor yourself, front suspension and all new struts $700+
Also most cars in that range will need a timing belt and that averages $1k if you don't have the knowledge to do it yourself. That isn't including all the pulleys and water pump that should be done if you are in that area of the motor.
Used luxury car, in the $4500 range well over 15yrs old and I doubt you can afford the parts let alone the labor cost.

I could go on for quite some time on similar issues.

Last edited by slyder; 10-04-2012 at 06:31 AM.
slyder is offline   Reply With Quote