Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Who is interested in a West Coast Meet?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Yes don't count west coast resorts out. There are a lot of quality resorts out there. Mt Hood, Seattle area, Vancouver, Tahoe, Mammoth. If steeps are your thing I think the heavier snow allows steeper pitches as well. Too steep in my opinion sometimes
Truth.

I'll get geeky on you.

Colorado has the lightest snow fall in the continental US. Also the most faceted snow due to the cold temperatures and high altitudes. It sticks to slopes just over 45 degrees. You can find a 50 degree shot here and there, but it's short lived. Less than 100 vert typically. Lucky if it's 50 feet of vertical actually. This is a continental snow pack. Rain rarely happens in winter.

Head a little more West to Utah. Slightly heavier snow, but more of it. We are only talking 1-2% more moisture content here. The snow will stick on slopes up to around 55 degrees. Rain is pretty infrequent here too. Snow pack does not get nearly as faceted. Intermountain climate. Best of both worlds in many people's opinion.

Now then, get to California, Washington, Oregon. Deep snows there. Comes in heavy and wet, though there are blower Colorado style days too. Rain happens. Snow will stick to slopes in excess of 65 degrees. You can ride some crazy steeps there and I will tell you it is damn fun. Cream cheese powder is fun as hell to ride. I don't care what anyone thinks. Powder is fucking powder and it's a blast.
killclimbz is online now   Reply With Quote