Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Who is interested in a West Coast Meet?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #37 (permalink)
jdang307
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
and typically unless you're a weekend warrior who can't pick their days noone really rides in the rain but it does solidify the snowpack as it always returns to a below freezing cycle after the front part of an unstable storm pushes in (the warm & wet)

temp wise:
30-32 degree "powder" (chowder?) does kinda suck and an be very draining physically cuz it really wants to throw you over the handlebars if you try and relax - but it is pretty rare, maybe 3-4 times a season.

25-28 degrees is alot more common out here and really its fucking great especially at the lower end of that scale. it does get tracked out tho (at resorts), and that too can be tough for people not used to it - especially if you aren't riding a stiff board that can knock that shit down.

if its below 20 and there is fresh the PNW is as good as it gets. except there's always the flats almost everything we ride out here is a volcano so there are always some flat areas, either to keep your speed on at the resort, or to have to slog thru on the hike in in the BC.
Since you guys know a lot about snow, can you guys riddle me this. I went to Tahoe in late March. It snowed pretty good a few days before we got there, but when we got there it was warm. California spring warm. It was slushy. It was icy. It was ok but really wasn't that great. This was at Squaw. I heard Alpine Meadows was more sheltered so it's snow quality usually a little better, so we went there the 2nd day.

On the third day it was cold. Borderline too cold (but bearable). Amazingly, the snow quality improved. I figured once something turns to ice/slush, it's done. It won't be anything better than ice, ever. But the whole mountain basically turned into a borderline packed pow. It wasn't soft by any means, but it felt like a dry powder. It was quiet (you know how loud ice gets). It was smooth. It was nice.

And I've been wondering this whole time, how the fuck did that happen with no new snow?
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote