Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Who is interested in a West Coast Meet?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #50 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
What did you call me?

Yeah not sure what it was. It didn't sound like champagne glass I was riding through. I thought it was very quiet compared to the ice and slush the days before. But it was very very nice and a welcome surprise.
I think shred was probably more spot on. Surface Hoar forms when you have warm snow and typically cold nights. The sublimation coming out of the warmer snow causes crystals to grow at the surface. They can get fairly larges. relatively thing and sharp looking. Like arrow heads. Cruising through it can be bliss. It will only form in areas where it is protected from winds. So usually near trees. A windless night though can work. The biggest problem from the backcountry rider's perspective is when the winds or riders don't knock it down and it gets buried by snowfall. It then becomes a trigger layer for avalanches and is quite dangerous. It can be hard to spot in snow pits too. Devil is in the details.

The West coast states get some very pronounced surface hoar. It can be quite beautiful.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote