Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - REAR ENTRY BINDINGS - women's
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
skarenboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
My first time at Whistler, the biggest problem I had was handling runs that take 25+ minutes to get down instead of 4-5. Thighs were killing me!

I've had Flows for a couple of years. I also have 390's on my other board. Hopefully what I'm going to say is equally applicable for women's bindings. You'll have to decide that.

Flow's are a lot more trouble to initially set up, because you have to get the proper level of tension in the 'I' strap. Once you have it dialled though, it probably only needs a small adjustment every couple of days. The amount of time that takes though is way more than made up for by the time you save at the top of the run. I personally can kick my back foot in, reach down, and snap the binding shut without ever coming to a stop. But even if you do stop, you don't have to sit and it takes maybe 3 seconds. Skiers spend more time transferring their poles to the proper hands and putting the wrist straps on.

As far as "less control", opinions are divided. Which should tell you that the difference (if any) is subtle. If you compete professionally or semi-pro, I suppose it might make a difference. The big difference though is that at the end of the day your feet aren't aching, because the bindings don't have to be as tight (because of the large contact surface).

One place though where Flows really are a PITA is strapping in on a significant slope. You can't sit down and strap in, you have to turn to face uphill and kick in in an awkward semi-crouch. That's why I have the 390s on the other board -- for park.

OTOH the new NX2s probably take care of this problem because you can strap in the traditional way if you want. Haven't seen them personally yet.

Good luck!
Lol the first 2-3 25min runs aren't bad at all it's those ones AFTER lunch time killed me! I was told by my boarding instructor that I was the strongest to start the day but by the end of the day I couldn't even catch up with the rest of my class. I felt ashamed, def was not in shape! Had a cool Norwegian guy as my instructor.

I have heard about the initial set up being a long process... but it's all worth it once you got it to the sweet spot right?

So with the rear entry binding your feet wont hurt like normal ones do? that's awesome! Yea i don't plan on doing anything crazy and i'm def not a pro or semi-pro so that shouldn't be a huge issue. and as far as for significant slopes, not likely to run into those since I can only do blue ones at Whistler (however, my cousins accidentally led me to a double black diamond, we FOLLOWED the snow instead of the crowd).

Thank you for your tips!

I'm thinking to get last year's model since they're cheaper.
skarenboo is offline   Reply With Quote