Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Religion Debunked.
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #154 (permalink)
gstboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Or Job's trials, which are a result of God making a bet with Satan. Or the aforementioned killing of everyone on the planet except Noah and his family. Or in Genesis where they kill off an entire town after first convincing them to circumcise themselves in accordance with god's law. Or, or, or, or, etc.

The problem with insisting that the bible be taken literally is that you then force god into the mold of the mean-spirited, psychotic little troll portrayed in the pages thereof. At least if you view the bible as a human attempt to describe the unknowable, you can claim that god was filtered through the sensibilities of the time.
You are right, many many other stories besides the Abraham one, but that is the one for me that got me thinking way back when I was a kid going to church every sunday with the parents.

Do you think that maybe the bible and all its stories was written to control the people into thinking that bad things would happen to you if you don't obey laws, maybe it was a way for Kings to keep law and order within the realm of their Kingdoms like King James.