Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Are you interested in having a Meet for the West Coast?

Who is interested in a West Coast Meet?

14K views 144 replies 23 participants last post by  nigel b 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to start this off first by saying that it is absolutely not my intention at all to step on the already planned East Coast event

BUT for those who can't make it to the east coast for whatever reason, it seems its come up as an interest to maybe have some type of West Coast meet? Like Mammoth, CA since a lot of other forum members seem to be going there sometime this year. Just wondering who would be interested, and what people's input would be on this. I'm not the best organizer, just wanted to stir up the pot and see if there were other people that were also interested in making this a possibility?

#67 · (Edited)
Meh, meets are a pain in the ass, I prefer riding alone or with a small crew of people I know well....:dunno:
seriously. I can barely be responsible for getting myself where I am supposed to be, let alone other people etc. due to the nature of my work (freelance, contractor shit) I never know what my work schedule is for the next week, let alone month! I do work a lot of weekends so I can ride weekdays, which also makes it hard for meetups. However, resort riding mid week alone>>>>>>>>>resort riding on the weekend with friends!

I love riding alone and on those rare days I want company it's not hard to meet new friends in the singles line. Isn't that what it's there for?

#68 ·
I love riding alone and on those rare days I want company it's not hard to meet new friends in the singles line. Isn't that what it's there for?
Oh, so that line isn't for you and your buddy to take advantage and swoop infront of the slow moving tourists line?

#70 ·
I'm interested in a meet up, but have no desire to organize such a thing. There's too many choices in places to have a meet. But maybe regionalized ride togethers would be a lot easier. I would like to do a Hood summer trip too. But so many resorts to visit in the west... Baker, Hood, Snoqualmie, Bachelor, Tahoe, SLC, Colorado, Montana, etc. Then add in all the backcountry areas, my head is going to explode. Plus, I also work freelance / contractor work and never know when/if I'm working very far in advance.

Mixie and I carpooled, rode, etc. to Mammoth and Bear/SS a few times last season. I'm sure she'd agree the more the merrier, if people want to share rides, split gas / accommodations for local so cal day trips or overnighters to Mammoth or Tahoe. Since there seems to be a few socal people on here, would make sense.

#71 ·
Can add me in for local hit ups around so cal. I'm gonna be spending as mich time as possible at bear this winter since I got my anytime pass :D

#72 · (Edited)
Mixie and I carpooled, rode, etc. to Mammoth and Bear/SS a few times last season. I'm sure she'd agree the more the merrier, if people want to share rides, split gas / accommodations for local so cal day trips or overnighters to Mammoth or Tahoe. Since there seems to be a few socal people on here, would make sense.
even more so since I got the new car!!!! tho I have a feeling Im not going to have any time what so ever until....I don't even know when. The mammoth forums are also good for finding ride shares but it's mostly old crusty skiier dudes over there. and most of them live in the south bay. Which for me, is not an easy carpool, as I live in Pasadena.

Also, Im not a huge fan of big bear to be honest, it's far enough and expensive enough where I'd just rather go to mammoth. If I only have time for local Id rather hit up high as it's an hour drive versus three. BB/SS isn't THAT much better than high to justify the extra drive and ticket price. I have a pass for mammoth and High always have ticket deals. So BB/SS are out for me unless I have a REALLY good reason to go like a cheap ticket and someone else driving. I HATE that dive. HATE HATE HATE. Tho now that I have awd it could be better.

I found out yesterday my gig got picked up for a full season. which Im kinda :D but :( over.

#73 ·
Congrats on the "gig" It is one of the best things on cable and cant wait to get the first season on DVD.....:thumbsup:

I assume we are talking about the same thing......;)

nope!!! I wish. That ended for now, but it will be back after the election I promise!! I can't wait that long so it's back to network stuff revolution for me :)

#75 ·
I started Revolution with a lot of hope that it would be awesome, the first few episodes the Charlie character was ruining it for me. Nothing against the actress but I hated the way they were fleshing her out.

The last episode changed it for me though, it was pretty damn awesome. Very reminiscent of LOST (good or bad depending on who you are I guess)

#79 ·
This thread has gone from a west coast meet feeler, to defining what the difference between the West Coast, The West, and the Mid-West are... To pictures of my girlfriend... To a conversation around mixies choice of work and everyone's TV preference.

Seems like a perfectly good thread to me. :laugh:

#81 ·
The 'West Coast" meet up will likely never take off in the way you want it to. I'm not being negative here, I'm just pointing it out. The biggest reason I see for it not working is that in the East, it's all close together. People come from 9 states away, but it only takes them 9 hours to get there. Out here on the West, 9 hours away is like South Central Oregon to Western Washington. Hell, it takes me 6 hours or so just to drive from one side of Washington to the other. Point is, we're not close together out here like they are back East. A meet up in the West sounds great on paper, but realistically, it just doesn't work out well. Now, regional meetups are a different story. :)

#92 ·
I'm down. But it's not official until there's a facbook page...

I actually think this is a good idea. I have no idea what to expect and haven't read anything about the East Coast event... But I can say, This is excellent for website growth and extreeme fun. Not sure if anyone's heard of JackColton.com. But, I found out about it 3 years ago. I bout these wirsbands for $5.99 that got me open bar and VIP entry into the top nightclubs for 5 days and nights...

Not really expecting this event to be that epic... But it could be?

#96 ·
Hey Mixie, guess what :D Transworld ranked Bear the 3rd best park, the 4th best resort overall, and earned the editors' pick for the best jib park. Just sayinnnn :cheeky4:

#102 ·
The more I think about this idea, I just think who ever is going to deal with the headache of making the arrangements should just do it for where ever. Even if it is Mammoth. It's not like people have to go. If they want to do this thing, they'll figure it out.

Getting a block of rooms at a discount is less committing than renting a huge house. That puts it back on the individual not the organizer to some degree. You'll just have to have a cut off date to reserve by and such.

There is just no way people are going to agree on a spot in the West. Unlike the East Coast, it's a dime a dozen for world class spots. Every Western state has awesome riding.

Just my thoughts.

#107 ·
So far from what I can see, this has been appealing mostly towards local Cali people. Narrowing it down to that, who within that list would want to/be willing to meet up at Mammoth or something this spring? If we can figure that out, we'd be that much closer to actually planning something

Once we can get a decent head count, we also need a timing window. We got 16 yes's in the pole so there's a start. Its hard for students like myself to plan trips out because of tests, class, etc. Spring break for me is March 25-31. SO, if I were to plan SOMETHING, that would be the time frame...for this year at least. If that doesn't work, then I guess I'd be assed out of my own idea! hahaha but at this point it doesn't matter, just about the vibes

#109 ·
So I got some details down, and finished up my convo with the Mammoth Rep.

Keep in mind that this is during SPRING BREAK WEEKEND (so the prices can go down if we plan different dates) and this is just to give people and general idea of what we are trying to establish here:

I tried making this as similar to the East Coast Trip as possible, since they seem to have things down. It's a ski in/out resort, we can share rooms. Group rates only apply however, when we have at least 20 people. (20 People = Group Discount)

Mammoth Mountain Inn, Standard Hotel Room
5 nights (March 24 – 29, 2013) @ $129.00 per night + $20.00 Resort Fee and 13% tax =
$168.37 per night
$168.37 per night X 5 nights = $841.85
$841.85 / 2 people per room = $420.93 per person

$420.93 (lodging) + $276.00 (5 day adult lift pass) = $696.93 per person

Constructive thoughts/feedback are welcomed/encouraged. Again if this does not appeal to you, please from refraining from down playing it for the rest of us!

#113 ·
I'm aware, I just gave the most expensive example so that we can work it down where necessary. Plus it was the only free open dates I know of for sure. Other dates are very do able, and even cheaper so its not too much of an issue

#114 ·
I'd say try that last weekend in February or for what is likely some of the cheapest the first week in April. Keep in mind, there is often tons of powder in April. If it's not powder, it's generally California sunshine and spring riding. Which is arguably the best in the US. I can't think of any place that gets it better. Just my thoughts.

#122 ·
Hostels, no. Very cheap hotels a free shuttle ride away from the lifts? Yes. however at dear tylers request Im not going to be all negative ;-)

if someone wants to start a thread about how to do mammoth on the cheap feel free to start one. Ill be happy to contribute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.