Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - should i buy a new board?
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
ediway

well, i took 3 hours of private lessons and only the first hour seemed to be worthy. The second and 3th one was almost useless.

After the first lesson, i took 2 days to train the basic (c turn). then i started to learn carving to get more speed (which was alright on green pist) but and on steeper slope i tend to put to much weight on my back foot which cause me to "drift" and slow down instead of having a nice curve.

so on the third day, i took a second hour lesson. i asked the instructor to teach me how to carve. And for the first run, he took me to the "bunny hill" (beginner), then seeing i was doing alright carving, he took me to another pist. The slope was pretty steep, and there were nobody on that slope, so there were a lot of snow (kind of tick layer of "fake snow"), which made it even harder to turn. all the guy did was going down half way then stop (he couldn't even see me anymore), then it was my turn. Because the slope was so steep and the layer of snow so tick i couldn't even make any proper turn. It was only at the end of the session that i went to check on the "trailer map" and saw that he took me to a black pist. Would he have taken me to a blue pist, i would have understood, but a black pist??? come on. it didn't seem that i learned anything.

after that i trained by myself and i am doing ok on blue trail (still can't carve on the black diamond slope, it's going to fast and i keep "drifting or falling"). Usually when going down, i never really go "straight", i always try to carve (so i am always using the edge of the board), but in narrow path, or at the bottom of the hill, i kind of have my board straight (and it is not necessarly always at high speed), and in this straight position when i switch from hill edge to toe edge, sometime for a few seconds my board lays flat and it's at those moments that i feel the unstability. if i don't pay attention it will follow by my "ass" on the ground. Each time that i have to stay straight i feel anxious because of that.

So i thought that if i get a "flatter" board (without the banana shape), it will be more stable.

on my third lesson because there again i asked the instructor to help me improve my carving, and all he did was saying: "you are doing alright, you are doing good". He didn't say anything that i already knew (either from the previous instructor or from beginner video on youtube). All i did was following him around for 1 hour on green and blue slope. He really didn't say much.

so i dont' think i will take any other lesson until i am ready to try to do some jumpings.

after that i trained by myself and i am doing ok on blue trail (still can't carve on the black diamond slope, it's going to fast and i keep "drifting or falling"). Usually when going down, i never really go "straight", i always try to carve (so i am always using the edge of the board), but in narrow path, or at the bottom of the hill, i kind of have my board straight (and it is not necessarly always at high speed), and in this straight position when i switch from hill edge to toe edge, sometime for a few seconds my board lays flat and it's at those moments that i feel the unstability. if i don't pay attention it will follow by my "ass" on the ground. Each time that i have to stay straight i feel anxious because of that.

So i thought that if i get a "flatter" board (without the banana shape), it will be more stable.

by the way,

i am 5.6, 120 lbs, my baord is a banana btx narrow 149 cm. i dind't consult anybody when buying my board. i didn't know anything about snowboarding (still don't know much). i just read some review, and checked on some "engine search" that give you the size of the board you should get depending on your weight and size.
ediway is offline   Reply With Quote