Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Question about my new board
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
BigmountainVMD
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Any type of "mustache" board will be somewhere in-between camber and rocker. Rocker boards have less spring like "pop" action, but the tips don't push as hard into the snow and are less likely to catch.

Likeliness to catch an edge and amount of pop:
rocker < mustache < camber

I usually recommend rocker boards to beginners who only ride a few times a year, because it increases your comfort level with turning. The downside to this is that you can develop sloppy technique easier, so once you want a new more intermediate/aggressive board it can make it a "relearning" experience. They also don't want to grip as well on ice, so if you are on the east coast, it may not be the best option.

Getting the mustache ride is the way to go (as I see you have done), because of the nature of the board, you will need better technique to turn it (though not as much as full camber, a nice happy-medium) and it grips a bit better on the ice, especially if it is a Gnu, Roxy or NeverSummer board, whose grip tech, IMO, is the best out there.

If you started on a camber board and you switched to a hybrid rocker/camber (mustache) board, you should notice it to be a bit easier to turn (assuming they are similarly sized) and it should float better in powder.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote