Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Jackson Hole
Thread: Jackson Hole
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
Listheeb21

There is no shame in letting quicker hikers pass you on the way up. I speak from experience! There are actually two ways to access the Headwall/Casper Bowl/Crags. One is up Pepi's Bench, which can be annoying to get to on a board because it requires a straight line through some choppy terrain and a spot where you have to go uphill and around a corner, and by then you may have to skate the rest of the way. Wen you come around that corner there is a little chute they call Meet Your Maker, because if you dont exit cleanly you can cartwheel down into the rocks and trees below. I've still yet to try it. The other way up is called the Whote Spider, which is accessible directly behind the gondola building. Patrol will boot pack it if the area is open. It feels like climbing an 800 foot ladder, but it's a much quicker way up.

Targhee is worth hitting. There are almost no crowds there, and much of the terrain is wide open, though I did somehow manage to hit a tree while there... A buddy of mine lives out in Jackson an he says that Targhee will often get more snow than JHMR, but the real key is that it doesn't usually have the fog JHMR does. If JHMR is socked I, it can be really dangerous to ride the upper mountain. Those are the days to hit the Ghee. I think it's about an hour or so from Jackson, and they have shuttles that pick you up in town.

TM is right...I think it's $15 to park at the mountain. Also, if you like to eat before riding, check out Bubba's. They have a great breakfast. Ask for the Worker Special. It's not listed on the menu and it's only available on weekdays. It's your standard eggs/bacon/hash brown/toast fare, but $2 less than the menu version.
Listheeb21 is offline   Reply With Quote