Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Best options

Looking For A new Board..Need advice/Help

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Njnotorious92 
#1 ·
So First Off I'm new to this SITE but have been riding for quite sometime!! I'm in the market for a new board since i have some dough. My last Board was a Rome Agent Custom from like 07/08? I LOVED it but it looks to me that their is new features out there that may improve riding or make it more enjoyable nonetheless...I live in North New Jersey so I'm riding mostly icy groomed snow more than half our short lived season. I'm 6'0" and 225 I wear a size 13 boot so I'm looking for a 158W-162W....

My Problem is: Their are so many different camber options out there I'm loss i see the descriptions i have read them more than multiple times but none of the company's tell you which would be best for freestyle/big mtn/park/cruisin' groomers....SO i figured id come here to get help since the last time i was in the market there was Camber and Camber and that was it....

I'm also interested in Mage-trac and anything like it made by other companies like I said NJ can get pretty icy quick

I ride park and groomers 70%-30% small/mid sized jumps and im obsesseddd with rails. I will be working on jumps more but nothing to change more board about (I don't think)
My companies I have been looking at are (In no particular order)

Gnu : Riders Choice 158W , Lib-tech Attack Banana 159W, Rome Agent Rocker 160W, Ride Machete GT Wide 158W

not sure how these cambers match up to my riding style

I am also confused on bindings i have ALWAYS rode Ride my last pair being the first Beta mnts which had the worst ratchets i have ever used...I have been contemplating rear entry or choice rear entry bindings like Gnu
Bindings I'm looking at are:

Ride: Capo, Rodeo

Rome: 390's, Targas, Mob Boss

Gnu: Mutant, Weird

Flows I'm skeptical that their lack in responsiveness may not be worth trying to eliminate foot fatigue (I don't know so if you have ridden them let me know)

I know this is a lot to ask but as you all know the more info the better you feel about dropping serious dough on new setups once you buy it your stuck with it (for the most part)

Open to other options Let me know guys:thumbsup:

Thanks,
Garry

See less See more
#6 ·
Hi Garry,

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).

#8 ·
Got it. we want to stay clear of boot size for a moment as it will not factor into your board choice. If you could get an actual foot measurement that will help a lot in choosing a specific board.

That will be an awesome start.

Thanks

#10 ·
That makes things pretty easy. :)

As you know rails to groomers are pretty far apart in terms of board design. We typically advise a do it all design for riders who want one board to cover park, rails, groomers, carves. If you wanted to focus on a park and rail board that would be a different suggestion. Clarify that for me and we will proceed. :cheeky4:

#12 ·
You will love the Gnu Pickle 159 Wide. Magnetraction will help with that E Coast hardpack and you will get the full freedom from catchitude that rocker was designed for. Keep your Agent and you will have a solid quiver.

Stoked!

#14 ·
Hybrid boards can certainly be used for park and most add in a little middle ground that gives them some overlap into other riding styles that benefit from more contact. Rocker remains the loosest, most playful profile.

Gnu bindings have a solid following. The Weird will be a great choice for you.

#15 ·
I think im sticking with ride bindings since the flows are ridiculously high priced for decent ones

also i feel like they're one of the only companies that offers weggies 1.5+from $175 and up pluas besides the beta mvmnt bindings theyve never let me down

Gnu's not really canted i feel like it may not be comfortable

anyways...

So as of right now im looking at these boards..

Rome Agent Rocker
Lib Skate Banana
Ride Machette GT
Lib Attack Banana
Gnu Riders Choice

any you guys like dont like or anything you guys heard about certain products?

Thanks,
Garry

#16 ·
I also haven't bought a board since like 02. I ended up getting a 2012 Rossignol Angus 159 which is a hybrid rocker/camber/rocker. I live in the Midwest where there is ice most of the time. After a coupon I bought it from Evo.com for $169 shipped. They make a mid wide version as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.