Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - A democrat is changing his mind...
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #25 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER View Post
I think it's always going to be like "that" the politician that runs "for the people" is gone forever. Until this country allows campaign of billion of dollars from lobbies, those donor will expect a fat return for their money, and the politicians will have to deliver to...THEM, not to the people. The power and the money can corrupt the purest of politicians.

this system created a class of untouchable mega-rich. They control your country. Not you. All this noise about Romney going suddenly up 12 points? (now suddenly they trust polls) Is just because they need the ratings in TV> Or you really think that after the debate half the people instantly switched side?
So what are you going to do about it? Since the sentiment seems to be "all the politicians are corrupt so don't vote for any of them" are we saying that democracy has failed?

And if so, what is the next option?

I believe that democracy hasn't failed yet. Where there is corruption is needs to be weeded out, the system needs to be designed in a way not to support corruption (think about getting rid of campaign donations, lobbying, and make public salaries relatively low compared to equivalent private positions). Our Mr. Prime Minister makes $317k a year. The VP of the company I work for makes in excess of that, and he only has to control a company with 1000 people in it. The POTUS makes $400k a year. So I'm not sure if the top job needs a pay cut, but senators/members of parliament, etc. be making in the range of $200k a year?

Are we as the taxpaying public getting the most out of our elected (and paid) officials?

Again: here on this forum we can argue back and forth ad nauseam, and we may even sway a few voters, but at the end of the day unless we are putting effort into actively improving the system, we are just wasting our breath. I may be naive but I'm not stupid!