Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - A democrat is changing his mind...
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #37 (permalink)
jdang307
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
No it isn't false. Before Obama passed his first fart into his chair in the Oval Office, the House leadership pledged to engage in partisan obstructionism on everything he tried to do no matter how badly it hurt the American people they swore oaths to represent!
The actual book does not report it so egregiously.

They did not make a pact to obstruct everything Obama tried. They made a pact to obstruct his economic policies. Essentially at that time, stimulus, which was already in the works before his inauguration. This article tries to say any and all legislation. According to Draper, this is patently false.

Note, that the actual GOP leaders, weren't at the meeting. And stimulus passed with GOP votes.

The other 3 things they agreed to were to attack Geithner, Charlie Rangel, win the Midterms, and replace Obama in 2012.

Sounds like a normal strategy meeting.

Obama had ZERO problems passing what he wanted for 2 years. He got stimulus passed, cash for clunkers, cash for dishwashers, HIRE act, everything, all with Republican votes. Where was the obstructionism the first two years? Cash for clunkers passed through the Senate 95-1, attached to a larger bill.

The HIRE Act passed through the House in 2009 with a vote of 259-157.

That's 259-157. where was this pact? 24 Republicans voted for it. This secret oath? It passed the Senate 70-28. 11 Republicans voted for it.

I'm not seeing any conspiracy. It was a strategy meeting, and yes that one pact to oppose Obama's economic policies (and only, his economic policies) looks bad. But it sure wasn't effective.

Quote:
Now before you again make the claim that these are baseless liberal allegations, as an Arizona resident of northwest Phoenix, John zkyl was my representative. I called his office and directly if John Kyle attended thus meeting. The answer was YES!
I don't doubt the meeting happened. It was reported last November, and nobody noticed it.

‘Telling revelation’ about Obama inauguration night actually old news | The Daily Caller

The actual book states it much differently than the sensationalism by that article you linked.

These are the four strategies listed in Draper's book.

Quote:
The dinner lasted nearly four hours. They parted company almost giddily. The Republicans had agreed on a way forward:

Go after Geithner. (And indeed Kyl did, the next day: ‘Would you answer my question rather than dancing around it—please?’)

Show united and unyielding opposition to the president’s economic policies. (Eight days later, Minority Whip Cantor would hold the House Republicans to a unanimous No against Obama’s economic stimulus plan.)

Begin attacking vulnerable Democrats on the airwaves. (The first National Republican Congressional Committee attack ads would run in less than two months.)

Win the spear point of the House in 2010. Jab Obama relentlessly in 2011. Win the White House and the Senate in 2012.
So yes I agree with you guys. In light of the past two years, that meeting doesn't look good. But it was a strategy meeting, and so far they've come close to their goal

But remember, the first two years Obama was not obstructed. He got almost every single bill passed, and he passed Obamacare. Republicans didn't obstruct his agenda until America voted him in to obstruct them. They were powerless before that.