Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Question about my new board
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lamps
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post

I usually recommend rocker boards to beginners who only ride a few times a year, because it increases your comfort level with turning. The downside to this is that you can develop sloppy technique easier, so once you want a new more intermediate/aggressive board it can make it a "relearning" experience. They also don't want to grip as well on ice, so if you are on the east coast, it may not be the best option.

Getting the mustache ride is the way to go (as I see you have done), because of the nature of the board, you will need better technique to turn it (though not as much as full camber, a nice happy-medium) and it grips a bit better on the ice, especially if it is a Gnu, Roxy or NeverSummer board, whose grip tech, IMO, is the best out there.
There's definitely truth to the point above about relearning. I bought a mustache board 2 years ago and then went away for a week with it and my regular cambered board. Rode the mustache board on the resort where we got fresh snow for five days in a row and really enjoyed the looser, skatey feel and easy turns. Switched back on the last day to the cambered board as the snow conditions were more hard packed, and caught my edge a couple times in the first hour, typically on the flats. This was a combination of no fresh snow and the cambered board punishes laziness/poor technique.

Since I ride mostly in Ontario the cambered board works best out here on our average conditions of hard pack, ice, and crud. Those out west are so lucky with the quality snow you get. I ride the cambered board mostly when I'm here but on trips out west I don't use it much.

Last edited by Lamps; 10-10-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote