Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Fastec - K2 vs. Gnu
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
KIRKRIDER
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
I'm intrigued by these Fastec bindings. Who's got these who can comment?

I ride with a big group of people, one of the girls in my group has a hookup with Roxy and scored a set of their bindings. She loved them.

I've seen Gnu Park bindings (2012 model) going for $160-$200, and they are the closest to functionally identical to the Roxy's of these two.
No Park model this year, but this Choice (2013 model) is the same chassis, and similar straps.

In researching the Gnu's online, I found the K2 Cinch's are also built by Fastec.
Tonight, I stopped by a local shop that carries K2, and they had some of the 2012 K2's I could get for about $180 locally.

But there's big differences - these definitely aren't just rebadged versions of the same binding:
  • GNU binding has a buckle on the ankle strap that flips up if you want to relieve tension on the lift. When you lower the back, it releases automatically, making it easy to get in and out.
  • K2 binding has a totally different mechanism. No tension relief, but when you lower the back the chassis tilts up, still making it easy to get in and out at least.

The K2's seem solid as a rock in person, but while I'd like to spend my money locally, I was a little psyched on the idea of the tension relief feature the GNU bindings have.
That makes me lean towards the GNU bindings, but I haven't seen them in person.

Also- [before the road goes there] I'm not interested in Flow bindings. Another buddy of mine has a set, I've ridden them - definitely no tension relief, not even when the highback goes down.
And they feel different when riding. Even he hates them, and he's used to them. I'm not going down that road.

I'm a veteran rider, I've been riding traditional 2 strap bindings since the early 90's.
What intrigues me about the Gnu and K2's is that they look to hold just like a 2 strap binding, and still offer highback adjustment (I dial mine back).

Thoughts on the K2 vs GNU?
Or any females with experience with their Roxy's?
Love my K2 CTX. The GNU quick release is a good idea, but you can do the same flipping the front upper strap when you get on the chair, and tighten it back before you get off. One quick hit of your glove will do it. As for flex I can't complain. I like to carve and ride powder, never ad an issue with the bindings. The use of a low profile boot ( Driver X in my case) makes getting in and out of the bindings really fast. No need to sit.
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote