Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Introduce yourself

2M views 4K replies 2K participants last post by  ctoma 
#1 ·
I will start this thread.

I am 24 years old, live in Toronto Canada.

I grew up in Regina, Saskatchewan (where there is a ton of snow) so naturally i have gone both skiing and snowboarding.

I'm still a beginner snowboarder, but hope to learn lots at Snowboarding Forum :D

#1,698 ·
Hey folks, Nick from Ottawa here. Been riding 3 years and totally stoked for this season! Planning to start playing in the park this year, and I'm going to be working out of Vancouver for 6 weeks and I'm so excited to check out the mountains! :D:D:D:D

If you're in and/or around Ottawa, feel free to pm me, maybe we could meet up at one of the locals sometime.

#1,699 ·
Hey forum people,

I'm Jon, 29, from New Hampshire. Been snowboarding about 4 years now, definitely regret not starting earlier. I tried skiing when I was little, never really got it, that kind of put me off snow sports for a long time... Now I'm out there every chance I get. I currently ride an Arbor Blacklist (154) and a Ride DH2 (159). Looking to up my park riding this year while I'm still young enough to do it.

Pat's Peak in Henniker is my home mountain. Every other weekend or so I'll take a trip up north to some of the bigger places. Feel free to hit me up if you're in the area, always looking for people to board with!

#1,700 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I'm actually posting for my wife and I. We're both very much into riding moguls, trees, and an occasional pass through a terrain park for the jumps only, since, at 49 and 57, our bones aren't as "bendy" as they used to be.

We joined this forum to find out more about the specific equipment characteristics that work well in bumps. There is very little info out there about this. Lots of adds that say how great stuff is, but I think the general assumption is that no too many people are interested in doing bumps on their boards.

We're always up for trying new techniques, too. We're both what I'd call very advanced in bumps, but maybe not quite experts, unless you compare us to people our age, which is what I'd call advanced for boarders in general, and bump riders in particular.

Any other "grumps on Bumps" out there?

We've been riding for 7 years now. We're from the Denver area and ride mostly the Summit County resorts.

BNG

#1,701 ·
Intro

Whats up all? I'm Leo, 28y/o, from NC. living in central washington at the moment. just started boarding last season and love it. I grew up surfing and skating so this is a great trade off for me. currently riding a salomon grip w/ cartels and a powder snake w/ flow flite 3's for the deep days. white pass has been my HQ so far, expanding to the rest of washington and possibly BC this season. anyone in the area hit me up this winter to carpool up to WP or anywhere else!

#1,702 ·
Hello everyone, my names Eric and I've been a member of this site for a little while now. I've been a long time lurker and spend quite a bit of time reading this forum. I must admit posting something is a little intimidating. Everyone is so knowledgeable and the reviews have helped me make some great purchases.

I went out a ton last season and picked up the basics rather easily. I'm sure I still have a lot to learn but I'm definitely looking forward to this coming winter. I'll be spending a lot of time at Chicopee (Kitchener, ON). So if anyone in the area is interested in meeting up, shoot me a PM at some point. I have a couple of snowboarding trips planned for this year. A weekend trip to Montreal and visiting a friend in Calgary over Christmas. I can't wait!

I picked up a Never Summer Evo this past summer and some Malavita bindings in Sulfur. The combo looks so rad. Only thing, it's killing me to look at it everyday. Haha. I'm going to post a picture in the Never Summer Proto Contest if any of you are interested in seeing what it looks like.

Well I look forward to contributing/posting in the future, thanks so much for this amazing site and thanks to all the people that post on a daily basis.

#1,703 ·
I went out a ton last season and picked up the basics rather easily. I'm sure I still have a lot to learn but I'm definitely looking forward to this coming winter. I'll be spending a lot of time at Chicopee (Kitchener, ON). So if anyone in the area is interested in meeting up, shoot me a PM at some point. I have a couple of snowboarding trips planned for this year. A weekend trip to Montreal and visiting a friend in Calgary over Christmas. I can't wait!
Welcome! :D And don't be shy to post, it might seem like we rip on people a lot here but that's because some of the posts are just downright out to lunch. By the way, you might get 10 good answers to a question here, and not one of them could be the right answer for you. So take what we say with a grain of salt! Opinions are good but they're just that, opinions.

Now, I grew up boarding in Ontario. Learned to ski at Mount Madawaska up near Algonquin Park (it's a little 200 ft vert hill!), and spent a lot of time at Blue and Mount St. Louis over the years. I came to Calgary last year with my job and I'll never go back. Prepare yourself for the hills out here, get in as much boarding as you can in December to strengthen your legs. The mountains in the Calgary area are amazing but you don't want to spend all your time sitting letting your legs rest when you could be flying down some great runs!!!

Have fun, and BTW I think Sunshine has a lot of flat spots, I think it's a little less beginner friendly than Lake Louise for that reason. Nakiska is also a great hill that I think is under rated. Plenty of high speed lifts, wide open spaces, and it's close to Calgary.

Cheers,
Aaron

#1,708 ·
Hey! Beginner boarder here and a newb to the forum. My current city is Barrie, ON and decided to start boarding so I won't hibernate the winter away...

I've done a couple of seasons and the 2011 season was my last one because I broke my tailbone. I am going to be back on the slopes for the 2012/13 season.

Sooo.....

HEY! :laugh:

#1,710 ·
Hi all,

First of all I'm 24yrs old and I'm from London in the UK. I've got 4 years experience (kind of beginner/intermediate level) and have a slight sway towards park boarding but to be honest if it's hilly and covered in snow I'll shred it.

I go for a week boarding holiday each year. So far I've only ever been to the French Alps (Val'Thorens, Courcheval, Alpe D'Huez, Tignes and Val D'Isere) but I am heading off to Austria in '13 and have Canada in my sights.

I'm lucky enough to have a couple of indoor 'real snow' slopes not too far from my house to stop me from getting too rusty during the long year wait for the next holiday!

At the moment I ride an 09' 154 Forum Youngblood with Ride Beta bindings and ThirtyTwo TMTwo 09's (for anyone interested in gear).

I'm easily pleased and I'm not afriad of my own company so boarding suits me pretty well.

#1,711 · (Edited)
Hi!

Im 27, a New Zealander, though half Swiss so been boarding there few times. Been boarding maybe 8 to 10 years but never really had people to ride with to improve my freestyle.
Working on it now and will be spending a season on the swiss alps next year to lock most of it in.

Ride a burton royale 2008, thinkn of upgrading to a burton nug for next year.

Read these forums often but never post, have recently decided to get more involved though.

#1,712 · (Edited)
Hey everyone

I am a snowboarder from Michigan. I am new to this forum. I am hoping that this forum will serve as a place of exchange of information about snowboarding. My particular area of interest is Snow Board Cross. I ride a Burton Custom X 164 even though I only weigh in at 155 lbs. I use Burton Custom bindings also. I usually ride at places in Michigan such as Bittersweet, Nubs Nob and others. I am also a U.S.A.S.A. member.

#1,713 · (Edited)
Hey there, I'm a new female snowboarder in Valdez, AK. I moved up here a couple of years ago after living down south for thirty years. Making up for lost time as far as winter is concerned. :cool: Aside from a couple of times in Utah a decade and a half ago, last winter was my first season snowboarding.

We don't have resorts here, so it's all backcountry, but there are still plenty of good places to learn and lots of encouragement all around you to get better so you can go ride some really gnarly stuff. Kinda funny to be bootpacking bunny hill laps and watching people get dropped off on heli runs. Everybody started somewhere though, and it's just amazing to have this terrain in our backyard and be able to make that progression in the same place. My boyfriend has been riding here since he was a kid and worked for a couple of the local heli companies, so I do have a pretty good teacher, as well.

I've been riding a Capita Charlie Slasher 154, which is super fun, and just bought a K2 Panoramic 154 and some Light Rails (gotten for an amazing deal), so I'm really excited about this season. I think I'll get a lot more riding in with the splitty than when I was mostly bootpacking. We get about nine months of good snow a year, so I'm sure I'll keep adding to the quiver, though it may wind up being a quiver made up almost entirely of powder boards. :D

#1,714 ·
Code:
Hey there, I'm a new female snowboarder in Valdez, AK. I moved up here a couple of years ago after living down south for thirty years. Making up for lost time as far as winter is concerned. :cool: Aside from a couple of times in Utah a decade and a half ago, last winter was my first season snowboarding.

We don't have resorts here, so it's all backcountry, but there are still plenty of good places to learn and lots of encouragement all around you to get better so you can go ride some really gnarly stuff. Kinda funny to be bootpacking bunny hill laps and watching people get dropped off on heli runs. Everybody started somewhere though, and it's just amazing to have this terrain in our backyard and be able to make that progression in the same place. My boyfriend has been riding here since he was a kid and worked for a couple of the local heli companies, so I do have a pretty good teacher, as well. :D
You don't know how insanely jealous I am. One of my dream goals for sure is to do a heli drop when I get good enough:thumbsup:. So damn jealous. Almost makes me bitter to come back to this SoCal stuff. Almost.

#1,721 ·
I'm 21, from the lovely state of Virginia. The first time I went snowboarding was on the bunny hill( which was more like flat ground). It took me an hour and a half to get down to the bottom while falling every two feet. It took me a season, but now I'm joyously bombing down black diamonds and experimenting in park. On the off season, I mountain bike, hike, and ride motorcycles. Definitely a thrill- seeker! :)

#1,732 ·
Hello from New Zealand!

I'm Melody, 22 and from Auckland.
Started snowboarding last week on a trip to Christchurch, now I'm completely obsessed! I'm a total noob but an enthusiastic one, figured with more practice I can only get better!

Joined the forum to read up on snowboarding and get some tips to use on the slopes.
Would also love to chill with any other newbie locals - so if anyone is at Turoa this weekend gimme a buzz :)

Can't wait to hit up more of the South Island next year and possibly head to Japan in 2013!