Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Advice on teaching my 2.5 y.o. Daughter to ride (peep the videos!!)
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

I started at 6 on skis. Like almost every Canadian kid I was put in hockey very young and hated it. Number one I'm not a people person so team sports suck. Number two who wants to get up at 6:00 on a Saturday morning to go play hockey? Not me when I was 5, that's who (not)!

So my dad said "You either ski or you play hockey"... And 26 years later my dad and I still meet up on the hill and go skiing/boarding together!

I switched from two planks to one in grade 6 when my school offered a course. One or two days of sore knees and ass and I was hooked. Wish I had started on a board earlier but in 1986 it was still almost non-existant in southern Ontario!

I've seen little tiny kids having a ball on a board. I say if they're willing, start them young!

+1 to starting on a board instead of skis. Can't stand the pizza/snow plow pylons all over the hill heading straight down. A snowboard forces you to learn to turn, or you'll end up heelsliding all day. Kids love speed usually so they'll stop heelsliding quicker than an adult will.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote