Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Freestyle/freeride choices
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
geolemon

Well... by "hardware" I meant more like the ratchets... but I definitely wouldn't have expected that damage from a Burton binding either. I thought they used decent quality plastics in their bases.

If anyone is old enough to remember Elfgen, I had a set of their bindings back in the late 80's or early 90's, and on a particularly cold day, they actually shattered... worse than a crack like that, I actually ended up with bindings that were 4 or 5 pieces each!

Those pics do have me leaning away from them a bit... they were in my list mainly as my nothing-too-exciting-but-at-least-reliable choices. Thanks.

I'm aware there's a bit of a catch-22 here, as I am looking for a flexible freestyle binding. Aluminum bases may be more durable in the long run, but I don't want something too rigid.
The Unions may be a decent compromise, as they have what I think is a urethane layer of different durometer beneath the baseplate, that would absorb shock both to the binding and rider, which might provide flexibility and ultimately durability. Mainly just not totally psyched on such a rigid highback, but I suppose I'll have it dialed back anyway, and that might not be so bad on my Colorado trip.

On the other hand, I've got a line on last year's DS30's for $160... anyone comment on the apparent lack of heel padding?

Last edited by geolemon; 10-13-2012 at 11:10 PM.
geolemon is offline   Reply With Quote